Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Loosing Configuration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

masha
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 03 2004 :  12:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone run into the problem with their shop loosing the configuration settings? We have a shop where the shipping feature is turned off, but it keeps reappearing. I go into the admin site and the database says it is turned off. I hit reload configuration and then the shipping turns off. But the next morning it's back on the site even though the database still insists that the setting is turned off. Any ideas? Having to reload the shop each morning is a bummer.

It's not a cache problem, because we've got frustrated customers calling in to let us know they're running into the shipping field and it won't let them proceed until they select a shipping method...which there is none.

I'm also running into this problem with the product templates. Until I reload the configuration and then it shows the right template.

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - May 04 2004 :  22:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not 100% sure this is the problem but possibly your hosts are rebooting the server for some reason?

I believe Howard has a script that allows you to test this.

Thanks,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net

Edited by - cam on May 05 2004 22:05:30
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 05 2004 :  02:51:36  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
having read cam's comments, something clicked into place in my head, and so i'd echo cam's comments; it does sound like a host/server issue.

i often had this kind of problem with my old host (not with vpasp, but with files/data in general, where they kept on "reverting" to their old state).

the problems that i had were due to the way that the host did their cacheing (not the browser cache; the actual host's cache on their server).

doing a ctl+f5 (as opposed to just f5) didn't force a true full refresh to the browser as the cache was being mucked up on the server itself and there was nothing i could do about it so i ended up moving host as the old host didn't cache their pages on a regular enough basis.

if your customers are getting the same problem, it can't be an isp-related cache, and if it happens for new customers then it can't be a browser-cache, so a host-cache/session-screwup is the only thing you're left with i think as per cam's comments.

the server-cache/screwup problem was only really obvious when i used ftp; no matter how many times i copied files to the site the new versions didn't show up for ages, and then after those changes did appear they'd often disappear again a while later.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

masha
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  09:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too thought that it might have been a host problem and checked to see what processes they ran each night. It turns out it wasn't them. I had two different shop folders on the same site (a suggestion someone here made to me) because I needed some products to be processed one way and other products to be processed a different way. The category feature just wasn't robust enough. Once I took the second shop folder off, everything is now running smoothly. I didn't want to have to purchase a whole new shop license, but it turned out I had to. Oh, well.

Go to Top of Page

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - May 12 2004 :  10:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you have the xshopid name different? This would avoid that issue. This is the first and most important check.

Also, we are running a lot of sites under our domain and the only sure way we have found to avoid sites hampering each other is to use either the drive path connection method or ODBC.

Using the DSN-less method will only work 100% for when you have 1 one site on the server.

Thanks,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic