Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 MYSQL upload to an ISP server.. HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fade2black
Starting Member

Spain
25 Posts

Posted - May 03 2004 :  03:40:18  Show Profile  Visit fade2black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I've just completed setting up a web site to purchase products online. Now I am concentrating on the database side. I've played with the windows version of VPASP and I think it's great!
The problem is my ISP does not support Windows (MS Access) only MYSQL. I've already purchased the domain name and web space.

Q. Can I just purchase the Unix version and upload the MYSQL database along with the web web html to the server and just add the products after. I do realise the VPASP needs pointing to the DB and permissions need setting up on the server. My ISP has given me the DB upload details? Does it take a seasoned MYSQL/Unix person to achieve this?
I don't know anything about MYSQL so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andre

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 04 2004 :  02:18:36  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I hope that someone else here will be able to give you some help regarding how best to upload your table contents (from access to mysql, or from spreadsheets to mysql etc), as i'm well out of date on that one and can't really offer advice, but while you're waiting for someone to get back to you on that I hope the following might help out a bit for all those who are toying with the idea of mysql:

MySql isn't really an "uploadable" database file in the same way that Access files are.
Access files are self-contained and can be moved around the site, duplicated etc.

Whereas MySql works in a similar way to sqlserver; the actual database itself is stored by the host somewhere central on their server, and not in a physical file on your site (at least not as far as you're concerned with your client hat on).

So your host will give you the connection details on how to connect to your database, but they won't give you a physical file. Hopefully your host will give you at least 2 databases (test+live) - if they only give you one then ask them if they can also give you a small test one too for free.

So, try not to think of MySql as a "file" in the same way that Access is, but just as a central database created for you that you're allowed to post changes to.

You'll need a tool where you can view/alter your mysql tables and data (ie the mysql equivalent of the Access GUI front-end), and this is the key thing that's probably stopping you from being able to understand how it all works if you haven't downloaded it yet:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysqlcc.html

This is the "Control Center" - a desktop application (ie you run it on your pc and just enter your connection details; just like ftp) that will connect to your mysql database that the host has on their server. From this control center, you'll be able to view/change your entire mysql database. After using this for the first time, you'll get that "eureka" moment where a newbie mysql person suddenly "gets it".

MySql's a great database, and the control-center is very nice to use, and easy to download/setup (unlike sqlserver, where finding a sturdy/reliable front-end without buying/downloading the whole of sqlserver itself onto your pc is very difficult).

Hope that helps some mysql/potential-mysql people out there; it's these kind of basic things that are often not explained by the host but which are key to understanding how your database/site works.

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]

Edited by - devshb on May 04 2004 02:21:48
Go to Top of Page

fade2black
Starting Member

Spain
25 Posts

Posted - May 04 2004 :  04:43:57  Show Profile  Visit fade2black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon
Thank you for your help. It's all starting to make a bit of sense now! I guess ISP's assume their clients know all about MYSQL.
Based on your help I've managed to set up the demo VPASP on my web site. I did get an error when trying to add the demo shop data (mysqldemo500.txt), but it seems to kinda work, although no demo products are showing. However, I did add a couple of products successfully.

VP-ASP MY-SQL Execution
Sun ONE ASP VBScript runtime error '800a01a8'
Object required: 'recordobj'
/mysqlcreate.asp, line 392

Thanks again for your time.

Regards
Andre
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 04 2004 :  05:13:54  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes; hosts have a habit of assuming that everyone who hosts a website knows everything about everything, which is obviously not the case with normal people (or developers for that matter).

if you're using sun's asp (which it looks like), make sure you've got the most recent sun-asp fixes that vp-asp support have provided, see also:

http://vp-asp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2637

the good people at vpasp support have got fixes for this (it was sun's fault for breaking asp).

Simon Barnaby
Freelance Developer
Java-E UK
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

printas
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  09:29:23  Show Profile  Visit printas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fade2black,

I'm a newbee too at this UNIX/MySql VPASP, but I finally managed to get my site up and running now (hosted in Windows, before was in Unix server).

Does your ISP/Webhost provides you with "phpMyAdmin" utility for you to managed your database online?

I had the opportunity in trying the full version of VPASP 5.0 UNIX/MySQL on both Unix Webhost provider as well as on Windows Webhost provider. And fortunately, they provided me with phpMyAdmin utility to manage the database.

This is what I did when I first started doing my website and database:

1) I installed IIS Server on my computer (WINXP Pro)
2) I downloaded MySql (same version that is use by the webhost provider) for Windows and installed it on my computer
3) I downloaded the MySql ODBC driver and installed it on my computer
4) I downloaded PHP (same version use by the webhost provider) and installed it on my computer
5) I downloaded the phpMyadmin program (same version use by the webhost provider) and installed it on my computer.

I make sure everything installed above and the IIS server is all working properly. Afterward, proceed to installing VPASP

1) I install the VPASP shopping cart, just like the instructions provided by VPASP and create the database following the instruction from VPASP using their script to create the MySql database.

Therefore, I work on the site and entering all the shop configuration and data/products, etc. off-line. When I am done, then I export the configuration and data both using the export facility that is already build into VPASP as well as using phpMyAdmin to upload the configurations/data to the MySql database on the webhost provider.

But if you have not yet bought the VPASP, and are just in the planning/thinking stage of buying, I do suggest you buy the WINDOW/ACCESS/MSSQL version. I think it's easier to work with.

You can always change to a Window webhost provider and still keep your domain name (unless you had already paid for a 1 yr plan on the webhosting).

Go to Top of Page

fade2black
Starting Member

Spain
25 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  01:18:57  Show Profile  Visit fade2black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Printas

Thanks for the info. I've been playing around with the MYSQL demo version for about a week now and managed to get the test web site/database working with the help from this forum and VPASP support.
I will be purchasing the full version sometime this week as testing has gone quite well.

My Web host only allows MYSQL and I have paid for 1 years hosting. I am reluctant to change hosting company as I've been with this one for years and very happy with the service. I have heard horror stories of other hosting companies. I guess I'm stuck with the UNIX/MYSQL version.

True, I have to update the DB online, but it seems to be ok and relatively painless.

The only issue I have is with the "shopdisplaycategories.asp" page. I am trying to find a way to manually position the thumbnails. If I have a TN with a sub category then the TN drops down a line, making the page look untidy. I have posted the question a few days ago, but no takers yet!

The other worrying issue is backing up the database. If anyone knows how to do this I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

printas
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  13:54:02  Show Profile  Visit printas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fade2,

I don't know much about customizing the display. sorry

About backing up your database, again does your webhost provider offer any online utility such as phpmyadmin to manage your database? I use the phpmyadmin to back up my online database.

By the way, the steps I wrote before about working offline, that's because I have a dial-up internet connection. And it's metered too! So I cannot be spending hours and hours online updating/entering products one by one :(

I assumed your on a 24hr connection and it's not metered that's why your planning to do everything online?

Edited by - printas on May 13 2004 13:56:16
Go to Top of Page

fade2black
Starting Member

Spain
25 Posts

Posted - May 13 2004 :  16:15:11  Show Profile  Visit fade2black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I contacted my web host and they too mentioned I should use phpmyadmin. I'm waiting for them to send me details and hopefully the utitility aswell.

With regards to the displaycategory. I emailed support and the answer was to remove the sub category display line (which is causing the TN to drop a line below the other TN's), change xcategoryproductsonly=yes in the admin configuration.

Thanks
ps. I do have dsl connection.

Go to Top of Page

fade2black
Starting Member

Spain
25 Posts

Posted - May 14 2004 :  06:50:41  Show Profile  Visit fade2black's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Printas

Phpmyadmin is available to me on the server. I can connect to it via the browser. Could you advise on a couple of questions please?

There is an Export function. I'm not sure about the options. Do you simply select SQL and hit go or do I need to select any other options.

Would also appreciate advise on restoring, if possible.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00