Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Chaining items?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lynch
VP-CART New User

USA
74 Posts

Posted - April 08 2004 :  15:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been given a task that looks like a challenge, so I thought I'd post it here and see if anyone has suggestions for how to tackle the problem.

We'd like to create an item with a two-page buying process. To help provide context, this item is a registration -- we want to collect information about the registrants on the first page, and then additional information on the second page. (This is basically to prevent having a single item with 60-75 features and a very long order form.)

I'm thinking about trying to set up a "chain" of items, where the registration info (first page) is the item with the registration price on it, and the additional info (second page) is a separate item with zero cost.

The trouble with "chaining" items this way would be adding them to the shopping cart. I'd like to add the first item to the cart and send the user directly to the second item/page, without confusing them with a shopping cart when they're not finished with their registration.

I'm not afraid of customizing code, but I don't want to have to rewrite everything to handle this one item when most of my store is more conventional items.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to approach this situation?

(I'm using VP-ASP Version 5.0 with Option Package, with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 as my database.)

lynch
VP-CART New User

USA
74 Posts

Posted - April 08 2004 :  16:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never mind, I figured it out. For those who are interested, read on.

For the "part 1" item, I can edit the template to include a hidden field in the order form. If I set the hidden field's name to "returnurl", shopaddtocart.asp will send the user to the URL specified by the field's value.

So if that value is the URL for the "part 2" item, the user will fill out the "part 1" form, click the button at the bottom of the page, and go directly to "part 2", with "part 1" safely added to their shopping cart.

A little code tweaking to replace the xbuttontext in the order forms, and I'm ready to go. (I used xbuttonimage and changed the shopfileio.asp code to use that as button text, since we don't use button images on our site.)

Edited by - lynch on April 09 2004 11:32:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00