Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 I need an idiot''s guide to display templates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roryg
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - March 19 2004 :  12:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to be a programmer back in the days when Basic was thought to be complicated.
Does anyone know where I can get an idiot's guide to changing templates, specifically in reference to product display, and the cart?
I have the various guides, but they aren't specific enough.
I have over a hundred products, and each of them requires a long description and up to 5 features each. When I click on a category my customers will be forced to scroll through pages and pages to find what they want. My experience is that they refuse to do that, so you lose customers. I need a line item listing with links to buy or get more info.
Any help with a how-to document, sample templates, or even where to buy one, would be greatly appreciated.
I like the product, but wish there were more built-in templates that allowed for different business models.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 19 2004 :  13:11:38  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Basically a template is just plain HTML. Soe place in that HTML you want some dynamic information such as a price or description. In that cae you would put

[cname] to display the product name
[formatcurrency cprice] to display the price

The items in brackers are either field names in the products table or someties they are special controls to do complicated tasks. The special controls are listed in the Developer's guide and Option Package Guide

If you want a basic display with a link to an extended description then create atemplate with minimum information (tmp_productformat.htm is the default template) and add a hyperlink within the template to an extended description page which has much more information. If you have the Option Package, create a hyperlnk to

shopexd.asp?id=[catalogid]
Shopexd.asp will displayed your large description, a larger image. Shopexd is part of the Option Package.

Doing itb this way, your customers see enough information first to descide if they want more. Depending on how you set up the templates they can buy directly from either the first view or the extended view

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

atari
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - March 19 2004 :  14:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey man, email me and I can help you out with some examples from my site.
www.rackattack.com

[email protected]

Go to Top of Page

roryg
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - March 19 2004 :  14:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, thank you for trying to help, and quickly too!
But, what seems so simple to you is not to me; for example:
Where do you put the link, anywhere in the file?

I tried a couple of places, no link showed up. I do have the options package.
I moved some of the description into the More! field in product edit, and called shopexd.asp?id=[catalogid], but no link or extended description appeared.

Remember, I need an idiot's guide. I am not an ASP or an HTML programmer.

Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  01:28:06  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

My first suggestion:
HTML Goodies
That website has excellent primers for learning HTML. Before you start messing with this cart, you will need to know the basics of HTML. There is no idiots guide. They have some excellent examples across the Internet as atari has mentioned but you will still have to know the basics of HTML otherwise you will have a very difficult time.

My second suggestion:
Read the manuals cover to cover. Welcome to web developing. Contrary to popular belief by most clients; it does not take a couple of days to design, customly engineer, and develop a properly built website. You can find the developers manual here or all of the manuals here.

After you do those two things I believe that you will understand the answers given in these forums. I wish you luck in your endeavors and again welcome you from the transition of a former programmer to a web developer.

Hope it helps.

Wayne
World Famous Gift Baskets

Edited by - ProductivePC on March 29 2004 14:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Justin
VP-CART New User

87 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  17:26:37  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a question on this. How do you incorporate asp into the template? For example, I'd like to check whether anything is entered into the retailprice field of the database before displaying something like:

(RRP: [formatcurrency retailprice])

ie I don't want anything to display if the retailprice field is blank.

Thanks!

JL

quote:

Basically a template is just plain HTML. Soe place in that HTML you want some dynamic information such as a price or description. In that cae you would put

[cname] to display the product name
[formatcurrency cprice] to display the price

The items in brackers are either field names in the products table or someties they are special controls to do complicated tasks. The special controls are listed in the Developer's guide and Option Package Guide

If you want a basic display with a link to an extended description then create atemplate with minimum information (tmp_productformat.htm is the default template) and add a hyperlink within the template to an extended description page which has much more information. If you have the Option Package, create a hyperlnk to

shopexd.asp?id=[catalogid]
Shopexd.asp will displayed your large description, a larger image. Shopexd is part of the Option Package.

Doing itb this way, your customers see enough information first to descide if they want more. Depending on how you set up the templates they can buy directly from either the first view or the extended view

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 29 2004 :  19:21:41  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have written a new faq on templates that hopefully will add to everyone's knowledge. See www.vpasp.com/virtprog/info/faq_templates.htm

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00