Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Upgrading nightmare
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

williamj
VP-CART New User

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - March 12 2004 :  05:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using VPASP since version 3. When I upgraded to Version 4 it was a nightmare because my version 3 was so heavily customized. It took me about two months to carry all the customizaions over to version 4. The version that I am using now has even more customizations so I hesitate to upgrade. Has anyone else found a way to solve this problem?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 12 2004 :  07:29:29  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a v4.5 to v5 upgrade on a heavily customised site, and the choice was basically:
1) Use your existing code as a base and manually build-in the upgrade changes.
2) Use the new default version files and manually build-back your customised changes, changing them where relevant taking into account the new version's logic.
I went for option 2, because it seemed safer/easier; it's a laborious job, but was definitely worth doing due to all the extra functions in the new version.

I guess it depends on how useful you'll find the new version's functions, and whether or not it'd take more/less time overall for you to create those functions yourself on your customised version against how much time it'll take for you to do the upgrade.

It took me about 60 hours to do a full 4.5 to 5 upgrade, adding in all the customised changes (and there were a lot of them), and changing those customised changes to fit in with the new version's logic.

But that 60 hours also included getting to grips with the site in the first place (i.e. it was a site I hadn't worked on before), going from v5 to v5.5 (when it comes along) would be a lot quicker for that site because I now know it well. So, if you know the site well, it shouldn't really take more than about 1 man-week.

However good your documentation is, you'll probably still end up doing a manual comparison against the old/new/customised logic, cross-referencing those 3 aspects.

The only thing I can think of to make things as easy as possible is to centralise any customised changes at a high-a-level as you can, and use the config settings wherever possible.

Obviously those steps are only relevant to heavily customised sites; for people who've just used their config settings/templates etc, it's infinitely simpler.

Edited by - devshb on March 12 2004 07:49:11
Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - March 12 2004 :  10:07:31  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with devshb.
If you have documented chages, less work you have. 40 to 60 hours of work is very reasonable for fairly modified site to upgrade one version up.
I had a senario 3.0 to 5.0 directly having customized as much possible and files names were also changed for security reasons. The earlier developer was smart but he did not document anything or he did not give anything to the client. I have to figure out all those and it took me two weeks to come up with the changes and upgrade and get the site up and running. The biggest issue is, there are so many new assoiciated files created and I had to write all those from the scrath for 5.0.
The bottom line is, as far as my experince goes with VP-ASP, worse senario , 3.0 to 5.0, with heavy modification and file name changes will take two weeks time ie, arround 80 to 100 hours.
If you are in 4.5 to 5.0, should be around 40 hours.
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]

Edited by - siraj on March 12 2004 10:10:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00