Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Product display based on URL?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PhoenixA
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - March 05 2004 :  10:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to have products displayed by using a specific url instead of having the customer login first? I'd like to have customer A visit one url and see one category only and then have customer B visit another url and see only a completely different category. I'm trying to isolate the brands we are distributor for into sub domains while still using the same database, eg. bluewidgets.mysite.com would show only blue widgets and greenwidgets.mysite.com would show only green widgets, i can set the subdomain up to redirect to a url that would pass which type of customer it is to the cart so it would know what to display but i don't know what the url would be or how to set it up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - March 05 2004 :  14:21:02  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I see what you are getting at. You could just have different categories for the different types of widgets (blue, green, etc) then point the subdomains to the appropriate categories.

GREENwidgets.mysite.com --> www.mysite.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=1&cat=Green Widgets

BLUEwidgets.mysite.com --> www.mysite.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=2&cat=Blue Widgets

That would be the easiest way I can think of. Do you need more restrcition, so-to-speak, on which categories specific customers can view? If not, I think this may work for you.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 05 2004 :  14:56:57  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VP-ASP has multiple facilities to accomplish this.

If you have VP-ASP running in two folders you can use the product match capability to only show products that have the equivalent field in the products record. So it matches the shop$config.asp

xproductmatch="xxx" with the products with same xxx

The second facility is customer match. There is a field in product record for customer matching. If it matches the equivalent field in the customer record.

These are advanced facilities and in many cases will meet this type of requirement but may need to be tweaked for site specific issues.

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

mpimiller
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - March 15 2004 :  16:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howard,

I think you need to update your documentation. In trying to implement two sites that would look at the same database, but different product lines, I was really confused by the reference in the Developer Doc on how the productmatch value in the config file could have any relavance to directories.

What you stated here about a field in the product table, ie; 'productmatch', having to match what's in the config file statement productmatch = "xxx", makes a LOT of sense!

Thanks for the clarification.
mpimiller

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00