Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Other People Who Purchased
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  00:42:09  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Howard, The www.amazon.com other people who purchased this product also purchased these items is hot! Include that in one of your next releases.

Hope it helps

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  02:59:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i second that proposal !
I've used amazon (for music only), and the "other people who bought this also bought...." is really useful for me as a customer, especially when I'm buying slightly obscure music that not many people have heard of. In those circumstances, the retailer also gets loads of extra sales because as a customer, I (and loads of other people) think "blimey; I remember that; I've been after that for ages; I'll take that too; cool.".

Cross-selling links are quite limited (but are still very useful as a customer), so seeing what other things customers with the same kind of taste buy is hugely useful, and has led me to stuff that I never would have found otherwise.

As a stop-gap, I might end up creating this as some kind of add-on for some of my existing clients, because it's such a useful function. If I did that, I think I'd give the previous poster a free copy for mentioning that brain-wave in the first place; it's a great idea.

Edited by - devshb on March 04 2004 03:04:54
Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  10:45:20  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As this is also one of the ecommerce functionality, VP-ASP should carry this.
But the trouble is, what kind of business logic we need to use.
Same category, independent, or its kind of vague. When you buy music, if you have bought 2 musics cds in tow titles, thats ok. But if you have bought a Music CD and Computer book, its does not fit. They should be some kind filter logic, we need to draw the black and while line. If its fall into gray line where to draw it, VP-ASP users are gonna have hard time implementing or eventually customize unless VP-ASP come up with full set of setting for this.
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  12:14:43  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Siraj,

I see what you're getting at and you have a good point... "Does it matter much to me if someone else who bought this CD also bought a hairnet?" Well, no not really. I'm sure that such a feature could be filterd by category so that you would only see truly realted items though.

Add to that the fact that most users (merchants) of the VP-ASP shopping cart are not likely carrying as diverse of a line of products as amazon.com is. Most of the VP-ASP stores I have seen are for a certain type of product, or at least a general theme. I think that the issue of off-the-wall related products (CD + hairnet for example) would be reduced in scenarios like that since the products being sold are not so diverse. I know that's not always going to be the case but I'd bet it would be more often than not.

You could draw relations on a wide variety of levels though: by category, simply by what else the other cusomters bought without regard to categories and such, by description/keyword comparisons and matches, etc.

Simon had a good point as well when he said that this features "...has led me to stuff that I never would have found otherwise". I guess the question at that point is, as you mentioned Siraj, where do you draw the line of how loose/strict you want the relationships to be between the items that someone else bought and what you are looking at? Do we show them a hairnet when they are looking at a CD? Or do we even care because "this is what other people who bought this bought" and thats what we are going to show them?

If VP-ASP added something like this in it would really be great. I think it would need to be controllable in the manner I described above though so you can have some control over how the relationships are drawn.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

jsbeads
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - March 05 2004 :  06:48:48  Show Profile  Visit jsbeads's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do this, I created a separate include file that I call alsobought.asp

Select * from Oitems where Catalogid = " & ProductID
If Count <> 0 then select a random invoice from the list
select * from Oitems where OrderID = " & RandomInvoice
Then I display up to 5 items from that invoice

This is somewhat sloppy; it does not take into consideration a invoice that that is the only thing that was bought.

You could loop through all invoices with that item and select the TOP items. This would give you the most common items purchased.

All of the items that I sell are related so I am not concerned with the category.

But if you wrote this as a stored procedure, then you could cut time on the number of calls to the database / recordset.

Do a recursive look up of the item then display only those items in the same category.

Yes Virginia, it really does help to sell items.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 12 2005 :  17:22:30  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is quite an old topic, but in case anyone's interested, we'll be releasing a new template-field in the next day or so where you can add the "People who bought this, also bought these...." list to your product pages.

If anyone's got any suggestions for the logic that they'd want to use to get the list then feel free to post here and offer your thoughts, and it might end up being part of the addon. (we've done what we think is most relevant, and we believe it's good-to-go, but we're open to suggestions while we package it all up)

If you don't want your ideas/logic to be considered for inclusion in the addon (or if you want to get paid for offering ideas), then please don't post here because we've already done all the coding/analysis ourselves off our own back - we don't want to be accused of stealing other people's ideas, so this invitation for ideas/thoughts is purely for those who are merchants who are thinking about buying this kind of thing and want to specify what they'd prefer.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Magnum-PC
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - April 16 2005 :  13:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Magnum-PC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds good

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 17 2005 :  03:00:17  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok; we've now finalised this, and it seems to work really nicely:

http://bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=97

This will allow you to use a "Customers who bought this, also bought..." list to your product templates as a new template-field. Highly configurable and easy to tweak.

This is "all-in" (ie you don't need to buy any of our other addons for this to be able to work; everything you'll need is included). This means that you get a free copy of our generic "create your own extra template fields" addon which has loads of examples/instructions so you can create your own extra template-fields if you want too.

We're open to suggestions, so if anyone buys it and wants to tweak it, please feel free to let us know what kind of tweaks you'd want to make as it's possible/probable that we could apply requested tweaks as extra options and then send-out updates.

For the ordering, it basically picks-out the most popular items and shows them at the top (popular by customer-count, then by order-count, then by item-count), then by name. You can change that if you want, but it seems to work best.

Similarly for the selection/querying; it basically ignores categories completely and cross-references directly, and this makes more sense and comes back with better results than restricting by category. After all, the whole point is that if you're looking for, say, a watch, then seeing an "also-bought" for batteries/straps would be relevant/wanted. Again, you can change that if you want, but the existing logic seems to be/work best and show the most relevant results that customers would jump at saying "ooh; I want that thing too".

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on April 17 2005 03:43:24

Edited by - devshb on April 17 2005 03:46:11

Edited by - devshb on April 17 2005 16:41:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly