Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Forum suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 28 2004 :  06:35:10  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got 3 suggestions/questions with the forum....

1) Whatever colours it is that the forum uses, the posting and profile pages don't work on netscape (table background appears black, field prompts are very dark blue, hence field labels are invisible. Can these colors be changed to use either explicit hex numbers rather than colour names, or to use colours that work on netscape AND internet explorer ? This is happening on pretty much every form/table on the forum apart from the main viewing pages, and it's really annoying as I have to click on the background and do a ctl+a to highlight (and hence actually be able to see) the field prompts/text. A lot of people don't use internet explorer any more (because, let's face it, it's full of terrifying security holes and is just generally poo and constantly hangs etc)

2) How can I get my email address to be available in my profile ? Or is the only way for people to see my email address to use a signature and then post 100's of messages ? I'd like people on the forum to be able to click on my name and see my email address (so they can contact me), but I can't find any way of doing this; my email address WAS registered, but it's not shown when people click on my name. Whenever I view my own profile from the posting pages, it says:
Email Address: Email is unavailable

but it IS in my profile.

3) I'd like to be notified when people place new postings on topics that I've created a posting in, as I often type in the first stage of offered-help on a topic, and then it gets lost in the sea of postings and I don't know when the original poster has created a secondary posting pointing to more detailed explanations etc - this means that lots of people that are just about to get some really useful help suddenly "lose" that extra help that I would otherwise have added straight-away. I'm sure the other users who "lose" this 2nd stage of help get really annoyed when the help that they're expecting suddenly seems to disappear, and it makes me look bad because it looks like I can't be bothered to follow-up.

***Regarding Point 3, if any other forum users have found themselves in the position of my help suddenly appearing to dry-up, please email me ([email protected]) and I'll respond to your secondary posting etc.

Edited by - devshb on February 28 2004 07:17:53

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  00:04:24  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon,
Answer to your 2 & 3 questions, There are settings need to be turned on or enabled to do those two things. But VP-ASP did not turned them on intentionally/unintentionally. Email does not show in your profile when you click, its disabled intentionally to not show up and solicited email and for spams. The is a config in the SNITZ forum setup. If you think that you need to your email to be appreared then just include your email in your signature and check/uncheck whenever you feel like. Its a way around.
Bt yur third point is valid and I agree but I dont know what could be the reason VP-ASP turned off that?
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 04 2004 :  03:09:55  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aha; so I guess those options are only at the top-level and not per-user. In that case, then that's fine; I wouldn't want my profile's email shown if it meant that everyone's email was shown in their profiles. Obviously only people who are willing to run the risk of spam should have their email available/shown, so I'm happy with that solution of using signatures instead.

(i wish they'd change the colours, though! it's horrible in netscape!)

Cheers.

Go to Top of Page

alindsey
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  09:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did this problem of colors ever get resolved? I use Mozilla Firefox almost exclusively and have the same problem - black background and blue text on most forms and dialogs... but the data entry fields are white background and black text... uggh.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 18 2005 :  14:50:13  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nope; those didn't get resolved (I'm still using netscape and still have almost unreadable labels on some forum windows)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

greatphoto
VP-CART Super User

USA
304 Posts

Posted - October 20 2005 :  21:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
devshb-

These are good suggestions.

Item 1) - I have the same color problem in Firefox, which is my preferred browser.

Item 3) This request has been made before:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3298
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2621
Some progress has been made, but we would benefit from more. I would be able to give much more timely responses if I could be notified when responses are made to my posts.

Item 2) - I agree with your final assessment that this is not desirable for everyone....especially since it is already possible to email someone in the forum without seeing their email address or having it revealed to spam bots. This feature was previously turned off, but it has been enabled. Just click the open-envelope icon at the top of the post.

Go to Top of Page

StevenWWinters
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - January 18 2006 :  08:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note to support: See this post on the Snitz forum regarding colors in other browsers than IE:

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60745
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - January 18 2006 :  08:54:57  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1)
See http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4279 for Support's response re colours. They don't appear interested as it is 3rd party software.

I can subscribe to a topic by checking one of the boxes below the Message box when you are replying (You can just about make out the text 'Check to subscribe to this topic' in Firefox if you get your nose 1 inch from the screen). There is also a link to subscribe below the topic thread display. I then get an email every time a reply appears in that topic.

Edited by - Sharon on January 18 2006 08:55:42
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 19 2006 :  00:22:52  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Bit the bullet and went through the code to find the culprit.

A setting was set on black rather than #E1E1E1 and for some reason IE nicely ignored it but Netscape/FireFox picked it up.

Can you confirm it is ok now?

Thank you

Cam
VP-ASp Support
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - January 19 2006 :  01:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm typing a reply in a white box with everything clearly readable in Firefox. Netscape is OK too. Thanks Cam.
Opera still has a blue surround to the message box so you can't read any headings.
Go to Top of Page

OceanArtwork
Starting Member

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - January 19 2006 :  02:16:25  Show Profile  Visit OceanArtwork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you go into someones profile and then you click on "click to send an email" the background is still black and unreadable in Mozilla.

VPASP is the best!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00