Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Simple Language Change
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BFS
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 20 2004 :  19:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

We've just started using VP-ASP and I am struggling through since I am not an ASP developer.

I want to make a simple change to the page that displays after an order is processed (we are calling it shopthanks.asp).

Right now, the ASP file is calling a caption with the keyword: langshopthanks01

I created a new caption and gave it a new keyword name. I then simply replaced langshopthanks01 with the new keyword name.

This isn't working. I'm assuming I am missing something simple because it can't be this hard. I've looked through all of the manuals and searched on getlang, keyword, caption, and language. I haven't been able to find any information on how to call captions from my ASP.

I also read something about reloading the configuration, so I did that too and it still is not working. I would really appreciate any insight here.

BFS
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 20 2004 :  21:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, I figured that one out. It seemed like it started working for no reason at all. I can't see any reason for a delay in changes taking effect but I am wondering if I have some cache issues that are preventing me from seeing changes immediately.

Anyway... I have 2 new questions. First, I've set my page margins to 0 all around... in the actual ASP file and also in the stylesheet. There is still a margin on the top and I can't figure out why.

Also, it is KILLING ME but I can't figure out why my text is navy blue. I even changed the navy blue style in the stylesheet to the grey I want and it's not changing. I've searched my entire cart folder and can't find any reference to the color that is being used 000066. Anyone know if I'm missing some hardcoded thing somewhere?

Go to Top of Page

BFS
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 20 2004 :  23:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The colors FAQ was helpful! The 000066 was hiding in ONE place in the shop$colors.asp file.

I still am not sure what to make of the odd delay. I've been resetting and reloading the configuration and just in the last 5 minutes I've tried to make a change "stick" about 10 times... every time I go back into the record to check if the change was made, it has completely disappeared.

One of the manuals mentions a testing environment for these files, but all it says is, "we'll cover that later" and I haven't been able to find out more. Do you have a FAQ on that for me, too?

I appreciate the help. :)

Andrea

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 21 2004 :  00:41:26  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After you make a language change to the database you need to

"Reset the Language"

This reads in the database values into memory

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

BFS
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 21 2004 :  08:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grrr... As I said, I've been doing that. I've done the same thing about 15 times now. Open the caption, make my change, click update. Then I go back to my configuration, language, reset.

Am I messing up the process somewhere? Is it possible that the record is just corrupt? I'm going to create a new one to test.

Also, I searched the FAQ again for some reference to the testing environment for these files and again I came up empty. Can you point me in the right direction? I sent through about 100 test transactions yesterday just trying to see the updated shopthanks.asp.

Go to Top of Page

BFS
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 21 2004 :  08:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could there be an error in the installation that would cause this problem? I created a new record and the changes won't stick in that one, either.

As soon as I click Update, it reverts to the original text.

Go to Top of Page

BFS
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 21 2004 :  10:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing figured out. It was perfectly fine and working last night when I used a dual HTML line break in the caption. It was the only way to get a break between the caption and the order number.

Now the only way the caption works is if I leave off the <.br> at the end of the line. Am I missing something here?

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 21 2004 :  11:28:22  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can try two things.
1. Clear your cache and restart your browser...and set your browser to every visit to the page.
2. Even if you dont have any luck, reboot the machine.
I dont think, mis installation will cause any problem at this point.
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - February 22 2004 :  16:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried to post your site on another server and see if your retrieving the same results. The problem could be that it is reading the session object that is created on the ASP page. The Web server will clear the session object after a certain period. If this session object is not cleared as in when the shop configuration is reloaded, the ASP page uses the original SQL string and recordset, even if the parameters have changed.

Greg

Edited by - GTM on February 22 2004 19:39:26

Edited by - GTM on February 23 2004 04:39:56
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 25 2004 :  04:08:36  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
closing the browser and then reopening a new browser window and re-logging in usually sorts this out; the previous postings are right I think; you really need to force a clear-out+re-loading of all your session variables to get all the new language stuff to take effect for your current session, which is best done by just closing the browser after you're reloaded the configuration and then logging in again to see the new setup.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00