Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Shipping by Country
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Notion
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - February 16 2004 :  10:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Notion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live in the U.K and want to ship products to other countries. Is there a way that when a customer enters their details, and the country in which they live - the shipping calculation is based upon which country they have selected.

The postal system over here works on 'Zones' as an example:- France would be classed as being in 'Zone Europe' whereas Australia would be in 'Zone 2'.

I see that all the country options have prefixes:- AU,UK etc, maybe there is a way of using these that I have over looked? can I use these to enter in somewhere?

The other idea I had was to create shipping methods for all the countries (would take ages) but it would work, and then these could have their own extra cost options.

There must be others such as myself living in the U.K which would need a way a doing this.

If anyone has any ideas or can come up with a different solution to this, I would be very very grateful.

Edited by - Notion on February 18 2004 08:57:08

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - February 19 2004 :  14:36:46  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That is a very simple concept. You are right. When a person chooses a country in the drop down list, there is a name or id for each one of those countries. From there you set your shipping prices to that country depending on where you are shipping to. A simple, lengthy, If/ IF/ELSE statement will do this.

Set an array to hold the different countries and then have a variable pull the information from the array to check what it is. If it is = to whatever country set shipping to blah

It gets more extensive when you are dealing with more than one product and even more extensive if they want to ship those products to multiple places but that is where you would start.

CONS:

International countries are changing their shipping rates on a constant basis. Most countries go by what the cost of the object is to determine shipping.

If you are shipping an object under a certain cost than you do not get hit with surcharges. A surcharge for delivery of that product can sometimes be more than the product itself.

Example, A $400 gift basket to China would incur a UPS shipping charge of X amount of dollars. This is ONLY to bring it to the border of China. UPS then subs the actual delivery of the product out to the locals and guess who incurs that cost??? You are the consumer and they charge whatever they want (This is what changes on a daily basis. Like they pull a number out of a hat and say.... hmmm george I think we will charge this guy $325.00 US to deliver this even through the package itself costs $350.00 US). You will not know this price until the package has already been delivered. If you find another way, please let me know.

We currently are setting it up so that if a person wants to ship out of country they are let known that they will incur all surcharges from the other countries before that person purchases and in an e-mail reminder after they purchase.

Hope it helps

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net
Go to Top of Page

Notion
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 07 2004 :  15:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Notion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wayne... thanks so much for all that information. I have to say Im not too clude up on asp and arrays, but your idea sounds great. I have sort of figured my wau out it by creating 4 shipping methods.
1. Download (for electronic files)- NO COST FOR SHIPPING

The next shipping methods are based upon the weight range of the item. I sell what I paint in the form of originals and prints of my work.

2. U.K delivery
3. World Zone 1
4. World Zone 2

What I aim to do is create a separate page with all the countries I will be shipping to, with a note that says wether or not its in Zone 1 or Zone 2.

The shipping methods listed above have defierent amounts in the 'extra' box in the configuration.
So this way the customer does the work just by saying if they are in Zone 1 or 2.

Its not really what I wanted, but will have to do for the moment.

If you have time to let me know exactly how I would go about your method, then that would be great.

Thanks again

Colin
www.colinclarkart.com

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - March 07 2004 :  18:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colin,

If you can give me your email address or a way to contact you, I think I may have what you need.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Notion
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 08 2004 :  04:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Notion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jill,

thanks for the message.
You can email me :- [email protected]

If you can help, that would be just brill.

Colin

Go to Top of Page

Notion
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - January 25 2005 :  13:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Notion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

It has been a while since I last posted here, but Jill... if you see this, my email address and in fact my site address has changed. its now http://www.clarkarty.com I know you said you may have what I want for the this shipping by country from the U.K, but I do have another solution albeit a simple concept. (Jill if you have a better way of doing this I would be great to know)

Using VP-ASP in the UK and shipping by Country

If you are using the shopping cart from the U.K, the postal service over here works on zones when posting overseas to other countries, so this may be of use to you.

The way it works
After placing an order you are taken to the customer shop checkout as normal...apart from an extra field in the customer form.... When is comes to selecting the shipping method, if you live outside of the U.K you then select the country in which you live (from a new field drop down box) which once selected, will then tell you what 'world zone' via a small pop up window.
So if you live in France, you would select France from the new drop down field which would then display a small pop up stating that you live in europe and to select 'Europe' as your shipping method. If you selected Austrailia as your country, then the popup would indicate that you needed to select world zone 2 as your shipping method.

The shipping methods in the shipmethod table are configured to these parameters: Europe, World zone 1 World zone 2, Uk only, and downloads.

It works for me anyhow. If you would like to know more and/or try it out, visit my site and check it out.

Colin

Today is the tommorrow you worried about yesterday.

Edited by - notion on January 25 2005 14:53:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00