Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Displaying Product Page Numbers and Buttons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - February 15 2004 :  16:42:53  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The in administrative interface there is a choice between showing the numbers [1 2 3 4 5] Next: Last or placing an image for Next and Previous.

Is there a way that I can have the best of both worlds? I would like to display the images that I created for Next and Previous pages and directly below those I would like to display the numbers below the images.
Is this possible in the administrative interface or will I have to modify the ASP code for this to happen?

I have version 4.5 currently and am trying to upgrade to 5.0 so I am unaware of any changes in 5.0 that can possibly do what I am requesting.

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

Wayne
www.WorldFamousGiftBaskets.net

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 16 2004 :  09:52:34  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Wayne,

There isn't a setting that allows for that but it's a super easy fix to make it work.

Here's what you do:

In shopdisplayproducts.asp, around line 179, replace this:

if getconfig("xproductpagingnextprevious")="Yes" then
PageNavBarNext SQL
else
PageNavBar SQL
end if

with this:

'if getconfig("xproductpagingnextprevious")="Yes" then
PageNavBarNext SQL
'else
PageNavBar SQL
'end if

Save and upload and you're done. Its the exact same code, it just removes (comments out) the bit that selects which one to show -- Next/Prev or numbers. The result: you get both.

As an aside, you could delete those lines that are commented out but its better to leave them there just in case you ever want to revert to the original way. If you ever wanted to, all you have to do is uncomment them and you'd be done. Simple as that.

If you want the fix for 4.5, let me know and I can post that as well.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - February 16 2004 :  15:53:08  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thank You so much. I don't think I have ever been in a forum where everyone is so nice and willing to help. You all are wonderful here. Wow, makes me glad that we ended up with this shopping cart.

Wayne
Go to Top of Page

SCPost
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - February 17 2004 :  16:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good tip above. I used it but what prevents the default (next/last) navagtion text to be displayed? I use an image for my Next/Prev. so I just commented out the code that displays the default Next/prev. text. NO big deal.

My main questions is I have a customer using win 2000, IE 6 and he swears that when he is navagating using the Next button to browse through product pages he jumps from one catagory to the next.
Here is the link he startys with, when he gets to page 4, he says it goes to a different catagory.

http://www.christianarea.com/ChurchSupplies/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=87&cat=Decoration

Any help would be very much appreciated. I have done a lot of modifications so I may have messed something up!!!

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 17 2004 :  18:15:12  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SCPost,

In answer to your first question, the default prev/next page navigaiton text is only displayed in the absence of the prev/next image paths in the appropriate config settings. If you have the prev/next image paths defined (xbuttonpreviouspage,xbuttonnextpage) and have the prev/next navigation setting (xproductpagingnextprevious) set to 'yes', the text will not show up. If, however, you do not have anything in the image field, it will default to the text. Make sense?

In regard to the problem you mentioned of hopping categories, I can't see what would be causing it. Unless you have modified that code that really shouldn't be happening. I tested your site (the link you provided) with Windows XP Pro and IE6 and didn't have that problem. Did this customer say which category it took him to when he got to page 4? That might get you going in the right direction if you're able to at least idenify a pattern or path.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

SCPost
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - February 17 2004 :  19:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Customer States:
I am using Windows 2000 with IE 6.0. I am not using AOL. Now, when I go to page 4 of Japan Decoration Kids
[2004 VBS Themes - Japan & Oriental - Japan Decoration ],
I get page 4 of the Projects for Kids
[2004 VBS Themes - Japan & Oriental - Projects For Kids ].
When I go to Page 2 of "Construction" Decoration, I get page 2 of Japan Decoration.
End Customer States.

ALSO, I get "Error Occured, Please Restart Shopping Cart" a lot in my log files. It occurs after a user selects the Next product page.

I have bumped up IIS Session time from 20min to 60min. See if that helps. I have been through the site and do not think it is a code issue. Leaning toward a session timeout issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by - scpost on February 17 2004 19:38:14
Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 17 2004 :  20:20:58  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Refer to the issue SCPost:
I have checked your site with WIn 2000 and IE6. I was there in your site for long time to see if I can generate the same kind of error but your site seams working fine. I went to every place you have pointed out but it looks fine to me. There is no deviation from what it should be. There may be anomoly sometime your customer is experiencing. Setting session time may impact or have extra over head in your server but that may be a good test to begin with.
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

SCPost
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - February 17 2004 :  20:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ALSO, I get "Error Occured, Please Restart Shopping Cart" a lot in my log files. It occurs after a user selects the Next product page.

A Side Not, I get a 302 status in my web server log file right before the error occurs! What does this mean? OK I FOUND THAT 302 - URL has been redirected to another document but nonetheless here is the log file anyway.

Log File for path of one user who experienced this error:
'1
2004-02-18 00:14:13 68.119.132.18 - W3SVC11 BRADLEY 192.168.1.5 80 GET /VacationBibleSchool/index.htm - 200 www.christianarea.com Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+98;+Win+9x+4.90;+(R1+1.3)) http://64.4.18.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=4c8171083159ad517071a7dd52078843&lat=1077062920&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2echristianarea%2ecom%2fVacationBibleSchool%2findex%2ehtm

'2
2004-02-18 00:14:28 68.119.132.18 - W3SVC11 BRADLEY 192.168.1.5 80 GET /ChurchSupplies/shopdisplaycategories.asp id=47&cat=VBS%2B2004%2BThemes&MallID=47 200 www.christianarea.com Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+98;+Win+9x+4.90;+(R1+1.3)) http://www.christianarea.com/VacationBibleSchool/index.htm

'3
2004-02-18 00:14:50 68.119.132.18 - W3SVC11 BRADLEY 192.168.1.5 80 GET /ChurchSupplies/shopdisplayproducts.asp id=82&cat=Decoration 200 www.christianarea.com Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+98;+Win+9x+4.90;+(R1+1.3)) http://www.christianarea.com/ChurchSupplies/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=47&cat=VBS%2B2004%2BThemes&MallID=47

'4
2004-02-18 00:15:36 68.119.132.18 - W3SVC11 BRADLEY 192.168.1.5 80 GET /ChurchSupplies/shopdisplayproducts.asp page=2 302 www.christianarea.com Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+98;+Win+9x+4.90;+(R1+1.3)) http://www.christianarea.com/ChurchSupplies/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=82&cat=Decoration

'5
2004-02-18 00:15:36 68.119.132.18 - W3SVC11 BRADLEY 192.168.1.5 80 GET /ChurchSupplies/shoperror.asp msg=An+error+occured+please+restart+shopping 200 www.christianarea.com Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+98;+Win+9x+4.90;+(R1+1.3)) http://www.christianarea.com/ChurchSupplies/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=82&cat=Decoration

Edited by - scpost on February 17 2004 20:53:45

Edited by - scpost on February 17 2004 20:57:41

Edited by - scpost on February 17 2004 21:09:06
Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  01:23:22  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The error that you are receiving is your error page that is generated when someone saves a page into your favorites.
The shopping cart does not recognize them. You can correct this a number of ways.

1. If you are using 5.0 you can go into the administrative interface and configure shopping and set a cookie onto their computer to save their cart. This way when they click their favorites menu the shopping cart will recognize the cookie as long as they do not clear their cookies. (Which today most people are so scared of cookies they think they need to clean them all the time)

2. You can modify the error page to have a redirect to your home page. This is probably the safest way. You will transfer them to where they want to be. You can program it in with a

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=http://yourwebpagehere.com">

Those are two of the easiest ways to prevent them from seeing this page. With the second choice you will still see it in your the error page in your logs because people will still be visiting them.

Pros and cons

1. People delete their cookies all the time. Therefore they may still see the error page and get confused. This does not cause confusion with anyone that is currently on the website because even if they timeout (save for if they delete your cookie prior to their session timing out) the cookie will still be read.

2. The meta refresh may cause confusion with the people that timeout on your website. They will click a link and guess what.. BAM to the error page that is now a refresh page and now they are back to your homepage.... what? How did I get here? Oh damn, I will just go somewhere else! Off your page they go.

My suggestion would be to incorporate both of them. This will minimize confusion on both parties..... not to say that it will stop it but it will help minimize it.

Hope it helps

Wayne
Go to Top of Page

SCPost
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  08:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ProductivePC.

Yes I agree with you that is part of the problem but after looking further into the log file I can trace folks from when they enter the store and everything is great until they try to change the product pages. The SQL query stored in the session is empty.

I can not reproduce this problem on my machines so I am chasing my tail around trying to figure this one out since I can not reproduce it. I do not think it is a coding problem but more of a session problem. I use 1 static ip for multiple sites. Windows 2000 Server. It only happens to about 10% of the users but that is 10% to many.

I am at a lost so any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

I do know some of the errors are from spiders but not many.

Thought? 'crap we all in trouble now'
Could it have anything to o with clients browser settings? Cookies disable, JS???

Edited by - scpost on February 18 2004 08:27:40
Go to Top of Page

SCPost
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  17:54:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found out what it is. If a user has "Allow per Session cookies" disable, the cart will not work!!! Any solutions for this?

Go to Top of Page

ProductivePC
VP-CART New User

USA
199 Posts

Posted - February 18 2004 :  21:41:00  Show Profile  Visit ProductivePC's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Short of going Active X to turn on their cookies to the correct settings which will more than likely throw up a warning in their browser and will only be good for the IE browser anyway or JavaScript detecting their cookie settings and letting them know exactly what they need to do in order to change their settings which again will only be good for the browsers that you know how to do this for and will take time away from them purchasing, not that they can purchase right now anyway.

That is about all I can think of.....

on another note: There is a JavaScript that you can write and place in a .js file on your pages so that when someone bookmarks your website or saves it to their favorites then instead of it putting the page that they were on... it will put whatever page you choose to go in there. This is very important because if you read your manual for VPASP it describes how to make links back to the website that will work and how to add to cart without actually being on the website....... hmmmmmm A new door opens....

Hope it helps

Wayne
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - December 07 2006 :  08:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two and a hlaf years later...Thanks for this Jon. It's saved me some real hassle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00