Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Is FrontPage 2003 safe to edit asp files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 05 2004 :  04:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do anyone know whether we can rely on the newest version of FrontPage to edit asp files or is it still possible that it will screw the coding somehow?

Regards

Phil

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 05 2004 :  08:59:11  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would not recommend that sometime it messes up. Use any raw text editors, something like, notepad.
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 05 2004 :  09:20:37  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't use FrontPage and am not familiar enough with it to comment on whether or not its safe to use. I am aware of older versions of it really messing up ASP code but the newer versions may be better. I do know enough about it to know that I would steer away from it if possible.

A step up from FrontPage is Dreamweaver, from Macromedia. It's pretty powerful and has both code and WYSIWYG editors. It's a very commonly used well-known app. Plain text editors will always work, too, as Siraj mentioned. Notepad is a perfect example: Simple, to the point, no extra frills, and really all you need to edit code. If you want the simple text editing, but like to have color coding in your code (which is very handy and makes things a little easier), I know UltraEdit fits that bill pretty well.

Those are a few I would recommend as alternatives to FrontPage.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - February 05 2004 :  16:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using WYSIWYG editors to edit asp files is not the best approach as they tend to add and alter code. The plain text editors are the way to go as Jon and Siraj mentioned Notepad and Ultra Edit. Here are some free downloads to try out and use.

Textpad
http://download.com.com/3000-2352-10196626.html?tag=lst-0-1

Ultra Edit
http://download.com.com/3000-2352-10213803.html?tag=lst-0-2

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - February 05 2004 :  16:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil,

I use FrontPage 2000. You can change your setting to open certain extensions with any program you like. I open my ASP files with Notepad. That way there's no code damage. For FP2000, you go to Tools/Options/Configure Editors. Which ever version you are using, it is probably something similar.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

billsingh
VP-CART New User

56 Posts

Posted - February 05 2004 :  17:56:53  Show Profile  Visit billsingh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use frontpage for htm files. and use the following for header/footer and all asp files

http://www.araneae.com/

Free, color coded and very good.

Thanks
Bill Singh
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - February 05 2004 :  19:07:03  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frontpage Xp Version or Macromedia Dreamweaver MX2004 are really cool stuffs for editing htm page like header and trailer not for asp though....
GOOD LUCK.
SJ.

[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

IfOnly
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - February 06 2004 :  06:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for such a constructive answer.
I have Araneae already as I knew that FP 2002 could screw up asp. used in other webs I have made
Seems like I better not risk FP2003 yet.

Regards

Phil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00