Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Credit card fraud and hackers
 CC from Bosnia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lodgegifts
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - January 13 2004 :  10:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I use authorizenet gateway.
They authorized a purchase for a customer in Bosnia but I am very suspect.
Address checking was not supported by the issuing bank

Any idea on how to double check? I asked the customer for the phone number on the back of his card and got a reponse with a very long series of numbers that lok nothing like a phone number, not even for bosnia.

Thanks

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - January 13 2004 :  15:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could ask for a faxed or scanned copy of their bill. Or you could just say that you are unable to verify their ownership of the card, and due to the high incidence of fraud from Bosnia (or on the internet, or from foreign countries), you will have to respectfully request an International Money Order as payment. And don't ship the order until you have it! And if they won't comply, then just refund the charge and cancel the order, and say OH Well.

HTH,

Jill

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - January 13 2004 :  21:44:05  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why dont you cal the Card Merchant and verify this card belong your customer and verify the address verification. The Card merchant will help you great and you can report if it was fraud.
SJ.
Go to Top of Page

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - January 22 2004 :  08:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Card services are notorious for not being helpful after he fact.

There are many instances where a request has been lodged with the payment gateway company about a suspect order and they end up saying no problems and process.

When the charge back comes in 3 months later they will happily say it you, the merchant who is responsible.

I would have the customer fax back a signed copy of an invoice wth the card details so at least you have a signature.

What about asking for the 3 digit CVN on the back as well?

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail:
http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page

Mark Priest
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
580 Posts

Posted - January 23 2004 :  20:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What really annoys me is that when you do a chargeback, they dont cancel the credit card!!! I mean, if you do a chargeback your saying, hey i didnt authorise that! cancel my card, but they dont, it leaves the system wide open to abuse, i know of one person who has spent about £4000 on stuff for his new house, bought all online from different companies and then charged the whole lot back!

And hes still got his original card!!!

SUCKS

Regards,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

patrickong
VP-CART New User

Singapore
58 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  19:49:33  Show Profile  Visit patrickong's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, merchant and customers can be protected from Chargebacks and probably everyone's happy because the Payment Gateway can bear the charges.

Last time there wasn't such a guarantee but now there is one I know of. It's called WorldPay Guarantee and you can see it at www.worldpay.com

Guess now you guys don't have to worry about fraudalent chargebacks anymore. But there is a peg for the value of goods you sold as a merchant before WorldPay happily protects you.

It's a good scheme but I haven't try it.

Patrick Ong

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00