Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 coupon for free shipping ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - December 12 2003 :  14:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we calculate shipping by price range, but I also want an option to give free shipping by using a coupon. Is this possible?
Thanks in advance!

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - December 12 2003 :  15:16:21  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
calliope,

I dont think there is any provision for that by default. Would the customer enter the coupon code, and then based on what they enter, be given free shipping? And, would the shipping be free for the entire order, or just a particular product?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
Web Design, Development, and Hosting
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - December 12 2003 :  17:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Free shipping (or no shipping) on the whole order. Basically, many people close to our location are ordering and we can simply deliver or they pick up... so I want to give them a code for no shipping charges.

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - December 13 2003 :  21:31:29  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
calliope,

I had a similar situation with a client of mine that wanted to offer in-store pickup as an alternative to delivery but wanted to give the customer the option. All I did was create another shipping method ("In-store pickup") that the user would select during the chekcout process. The shipping method itself was such that no matter what the weight range (price range in your case) -- 0 to 9999999 -- the shipping was $0/free. That's something you could do that would be the easiest fix but it won't adress the issue of your local delivery with no shipping charges.

Here is one method of addressing that, based on the coupon method that you suggested:

1) Create the coupons for the free shipping as you had suggested.

2) Create another field in the configuration table called "xFreeShippingCoupons".
fieldvalue: string of the coupons that you want to accept as allowing free shipping. "FreeShipping, Local Delivery" (one or many coupon names, separated by commas).
fieldgroup: shipping
fieldyesno: False

The reason for creating this record is so that once the code is modified (outlined below), you will never have to go back and edit it again. Any modifcations (different coupons, etc) can now be made by updating this field via your control panel and won't be hard coded into your site. That will make life easier on you should you ever want to add new coupon names or anything like that. Just do that there.

3) Finally, edit the code in shopshippingcalc.asp. What needs to be done here is see if a coupon was entered, then see if it was one that you have specified as being for free shipping. If it finds a match, then it will set the shipping to zero and bypass all of the shipping calculations. So, around line 69 of shopshippingcalc.asp, replace this:

Sub CalculateShipping

with this:

Sub CalculateShipping
'Before calculating shipping, check to see if one of the coupons for free shipping has been used.
'If so, set the shipping to free, and exit sub (bypass shipping calcs).
If Session("coupon") <> "" AND instr(1,cStr(getconfig("xFreeShippingCoupons")),cStr(Session("coupon"))) > 0 Then
SetSess "smprice",0
exit sub
End If

Save and upload that file.

That's it. That snippet of code handles what I described just above: If any of the coupons for free shipping (you can allow for more than one free shipping coupon with this method) are entered, the shipping is set to $0.

And with that you're done. I just tested this a few times and it worked as it should. If you have any problems let me know.

There is another what that it could be done as well: check by zip code. If the customer is from a specific zip code (considered local delivery zip codes), just set the shipping to $0. I did that for another client as well and it works great. This would be a little more user friendly since they wouldnt have to worry about coupons and all the work would be done for them behind the scenes. Please contact me directly at [email protected] if you are interested in having that done.

Enjoy.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

calliope
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - December 14 2003 :  18:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Jon!

Go to Top of Page

Cliffw
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - January 04 2004 :  18:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Cliffw's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will work if it is indeed a local pick up but there is a lot of pressure out there to offer free shipping as a special and or benefit to my customers.

I would like to offer free shipping as a coupon. How about it folks is there a way to do it?
Thanks

Cliff Whitney
Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - January 04 2004 :  20:53:11  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Cliff,

That solution/response I provided above does exactly that -- local delivery or not. You can specify coupons that customers can enter that will set the shipping costs to $0.00 (zero). It doesn't even look at where its being delivered. It's just checking whether a free shipping coupon was enered or not.

Try it and see. Hope it's what you're looking for.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

clayford
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - February 03 2004 :  16:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There is another what that it could be done as well: check by zip code. If the customer is from a specific zip code (considered local delivery zip codes), just set the shipping to $0. I did that for another client as well and it works great. This would be a little more user friendly since they wouldnt have to worry about coupons and all the work would be done for them behind the scenes. Please contact me directly at [email protected] if you are interested in having that done.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com

I know this is my first post and all, but I wanted to let folks know that I took Jon up on his offer (even though he didn't actually make the offer to me personally) and he did a wonderful job. Super quick turnaround and for a reasonable price. Conducted totally via email in one afternoon.

Jon didn't ask me to say any of this. I just wanted to contribute in some way to the forum. I'm new to VP-ASP and ASP programming, so I appreciate knowing who the good guys are if you need help. If you're in the same boat as me, Jon Madrid is one of the good guys. Email me if you want know more: clay-at-clayford-dot-net

Go to Top of Page

Amanda
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - February 07 2004 :  17:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can a button be set that if they click on it it gives them free shipping without having to remember a coupon code

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 09 2004 :  13:05:10  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose that could be done. Where do you envision that button being? I can modify/create the code to accomodate that.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

Justin
VP-CART New User

87 Posts

Posted - February 09 2004 :  22:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What would stop just anyone pushing the button and getting free postage?

JL

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 10 2004 :  06:14:21  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Justin,

Thats what I was thinking as well.

---

Amanda,

What if you were to do it based on zip code? If they are shipping to any of a group of specified zip codes, the shipping is set to 0 (free). Its transparent, they don't need to know coupon codes, and there are no extra steps. I mentioned that option in one of my earlier posts on this thread.

Would that work for you?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

Amanda
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - February 11 2004 :  18:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be a promo, like ever so often you could put it on your main page or something like that
Or an email etc

Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - February 12 2004 :  19:19:35  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What if, instead of clicking a button for free shipping, you just turned the shipping costs off when you wanted to have that special promo? That's easier for the customers and if you're offering free shipping anwyay, why make them take an extra step? What do you think?

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page

Habitue
VP-CART New User

USA
90 Posts

Posted - September 12 2004 :  03:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would the "free shipping" coupon allow coupon limitations? (i.e. couponcategories & couponproducts). Thanks for your time.

Peace,

~Habitue~

----------------------------------
"I've heard that it's good to think before you speak..." - TBC

Edited by - Habitue on September 12 2004 21:37:45
Go to Top of Page

jonmadrid
VP-CART New User

USA
192 Posts

Posted - September 15 2004 :  11:37:23  Show Profile  Visit jonmadrid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Habitue,

Do you mean restrict using the cookie unless a certain product or product from a certain category is being purchased? It doesn't do that now but I can write the code to make it do that. Let me know if thats what you want.

All the best,

Jon Madrid
--------------------
Madrid Communications
www.madridcom.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly