Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Legal Repurcussions - Please Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeremy_fx
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - October 11 2003 :  11:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

My client wants me to exactly copy the design of an existing site. Only the logos will be different.

I wish to know whether can I exactly copy the design of an exiting site, for my client's site. What are the legal aspects of it?

Further, the site my client wants me to copy says "Copyright © SiteName, All Rights Reserved." on it. What does this mean? Does this say the design of the site cannot be coopied.?

Please help me in this regard. Thanks.

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - October 11 2003 :  14:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about legal, but I don't think it would be very ethical. I personally think it's ok to get general ideas from other sites, but to copy it completely?

Just my opinion.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

searley
VP-CART New User

169 Posts

Posted - October 11 2003 :  17:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know about legal, but I don't think it would be very ethical. I personally think it's ok to get general ideas from other sites, but to copy it completely?

It's always difficult, but yes it would be copyright theft, but if you are 'employed' by your client then he owns the rights to your work, so it should be him that has to face the risk of legal action..

If you do the work for him get him to sign a disclaimer so that he can not try to pass blame..

Nother thing, if the sites sell the same things, he could also face action for "passing off"

also check for trade marks!

--
Quality Printer Consumables
http://www.inkcarts.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

GTM
VP-CART New User

USA
122 Posts

Posted - October 13 2003 :  08:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is a blatant copy they could slap you with a cease and desist and if the site continues could later result in legal matters.

Greg

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00