Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.00 Questions
 Mail List Confirmation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - August 16 2003 :  23:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The add/remove confirmation email, that you receive when signing up or removing yourself from the mail list, contains a link back with an authcode appended to it.

http://www.mysite.com/shopmaillistauthorize.asp?authcode=a272674

In my mail program, the link is broken between lines at the "e" in authcode, so the e and the code are not part of the link.

http://www.mysite.com/shopmaillistauthorize.asp?authcod
e=a272674

Clicking on the link takes me to an error page that says "Password Required". If I add the missing parts to the url manually, it's fine and takes me to the proper message.

Support is stumped on what to do about this. Other than changing the error message to say something like - part of your link is missing, add it in - does anyone have any idea of what can be done?

Thanks, Jill

maxe
Starting Member

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - August 18 2003 :  04:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jill,

I reckon more info is required for this one:

1. which mail program are you using?
2. what kind of mailer deamon is sending the message.

... to determine, whether the link is sent this way, or received this way...

SMPT gateways can be configured to generate line breaks after 78 characters.

I suspect you have shown only the cut-off link and not the complete line??

Regards,
Max

Brisbane

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - August 18 2003 :  08:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max,

It's going through CDONTS, and coming in through Outlook Express 6. But I think that what matters is where the line break is set in the receiving program, isn't it? I could reset mine, but not every customers. Or is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - August 18 2003 :  15:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on the margins set by the incoming mail program which is also affected by the screen resolution.

An simple solution:
A plain text message such as "Click Here" can have a very long yet dynamic hyperlink. Because the hyperlink is now hidden, the proggy will not wordwrap the line and break it.

Support should be made aware of this and fix the problem for you and all others.

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - August 21 2003 :  01:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al,

Support gave me the code changes to make the "click here" link, but it came to me completely written out, with tags and all, not as a link. My mail program must be set to plain text or something. Back to the drawing board....

Jill

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - August 24 2003 :  13:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's something that may help.

Rename shopmaillistauthorize.asp to something short - auth.asp or mla.asp or something. Then be sure to change the one reference to it in shopmaillistsubs.asp.

That's it!

That will shorten the line by quite a bit, and may make the difference. Also, you can add something into either the email that is sent to the customer, or into the error message that they see when they click on the incomplete link - that says something like "if you are receiving this error message, be sure that the entire link is in the address bar" - something to that effect anyway. (You'd have to make a new language value for that.)

Jill

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00