Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 External database ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steve_n
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - July 21 2003 :  12:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm evaluating VP-ASP, we currently have an existing database driven web site which is not a simple category/sub-category site and contains around 20000 products. I'd like to keep our existing database but incorporate VP-ASP as the shopping cart.

Has anyone integrated their own product database into a VP-ASP site (if it is possible) ?

maduko
VP-CART New User

52 Posts

Posted - July 24 2003 :  11:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We imported products and customer records into the system. Not nearly as many as 20,000!

But if you have any experience with Access it's pretty easy to work with.

Go to Top of Page

steve_n
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - July 25 2003 :  10:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem isn't importing the products - it's just our web site is database driven and our database has been developed to be able to cross reference products in a way that a simple category/sub-category system couldn't replicate so I'd like to keep our existing product database but add on a shopping cart.

At present we use a Perl script so on the product pages each product has a form which passes the products code, price, weight, and quantity to the Perl shopping cart so the actually product database and shopping cart are not actually linked - the add to cart button simply passes the necessary variables to the cart script. I'd like to find an ASP shopping cart that would let me do something similar.

Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - July 25 2003 :  12:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What version are you using? I don't know about version 5, but earlier version had that capability.

Jill

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 25 2003 :  16:57:43  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VP-ASP supprts adding products to the cart using our shopaddtocartnodb.asp interface. You can pass description, price and weight and quantity. The products can be anyplace. They do not have to be in the VP-ASP database.

Howard Kadetz
VP-ASP

Go to Top of Page

siraj
VP-CART New User

USA
194 Posts

Posted - October 16 2003 :  00:55:19  Show Profile  Visit siraj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can integrate any db into vpasp as long as you have odbc connection available. You need to create the link or view and then map the VPASP db and backoffice db. Its pretty simple once you mapped the database correctly. If you have any issue, mail me to [email protected]

Go to Top of Page

MannyM
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - October 18 2003 :  17:25:53  Show Profile  Visit MannyM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have somewhat of a similar situation. We use several Access 2000 databases for each product category, and EACH database has three tables - a brand/model table, an product item table, and a "relationships" table which details which product item works with which brand/model. So the "relationships" table would be something like this:

Part1 Toyota Tercel
Part1 Toyota Crown
Part1 Honda Civic
Part1 Nissan Sentra
Part2 Toyota Forerunner
Part2 BMW 325i

So the above shows that Part1 works with all of the models to the right - Toyota Tercel, Toyota Crown, Honda Civic, Nissan Sentra - while Part2 works with just the Toyota Forerunner and the BMW325i. So does anyone know if VPASP or YourVirtualStore can use my product databases?

thanks

Go to Top of Page

MannyM
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - October 24 2003 :  22:20:07  Show Profile  Visit MannyM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To Steve N:

Did you ever find a solution to your situation (which I believe is identical to our situation)? If so, can you please tell me what solution you found within VPASP or thru another shopping cart.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00