Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-Cart 8.00 Issues
 AddThis health warning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoT
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - January 25 2018 :  11:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up for anyone operating in the EU and thinking about the impact of the new privacy laws (the GDPR): the AddThis social sharing widget sets a huge number of 3rd party tracking cookies from some notorious advertising networks. I was rather shocked to find out how many cookies were actually set (I recently did a cookie audit).

If you are interested in complying with the GDPR then you will absolutely have to get informed and specific consent from website visitors to use the AddThis widget on your website. I''ve decided to remove the widget instead and will be looking for a less toxic solution.

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - January 25 2018 :  19:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can''t find this info somewhere ,, where can i read the info ?
to turn off should be by setting xAddThisEnable and xAddThisPolyvoreEnable both No .. but im not in EU so not hearing any info about this ..
diego
Go to Top of Page

JoT
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - January 26 2018 :  04:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Info about the General Data Protection Regulation can be found here: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/. It applies to any organisation trading with any EU member state and comes into force in May of this year.

Yes, I set XAddThisEnabled = No. Turned off Polyvore ages ago since it''s irrelevant to us.

It would be great if the team at VPASP produced an alternative social media sharing widget that didn''t use tracking cookies. I''ve found some code I''m going to use but would be nice if it came ready-packaged with VPCart.

JoT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00