Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Credit card fraud and hackers
 shop_donothing.asp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

surplus
Starting Member

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - March 25 2017 :  22:07:05  Show Profile  Visit surplus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Checking the server stats I noticed that 43% of the bandwidth on our shopping cart in the past week has been used by loading a little session counter program called
shop_donothing.asp

Any ideas why this file would be loaded 175000 times in 3 days?

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 27 2017 :  05:00:05  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

You can ignore this file as its purpose is purely to keep the cart sessions alive.

Hope this helps!

Thank you

Richard
VPCart Support
Go to Top of Page

FCS-Webmaster
VP-CART New User

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - March 27 2017 :  11:35:27  Show Profile  Visit FCS-Webmaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard.

I thought the same thing, then I thought that 55000 to 60000 calls to it per day and 43% of server bandwidth is a lot of bandwidth used by a tiny file to ignore.

Tim Hodges
Forest City Surplus Canada

Edited by - FCS-Webmaster on March 27 2017 11:36:07
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 27 2017 :  23:57:39  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,

I had a look on our servers and it is not taking anywhere near that level of bandwidth so not sure why it is on yours.

Either way you have a couple of options.

1. Disable the feature

2. Tweak the time it refreshes

For both options do a search in the online config for the following:

xkeepsession

This will return the 2 settings you need to tweak.

Basically the purpose is to keep alive the cart and customer sessions even if you do not have the cookie module activated.

A common complaint was customers were seeing their carts or customer login sessions removed because of waiting too long. This feature allows the cart to stay until they close the browser or the server recycles the application pool.

Using the cookies module allows you to do the same so you can disable if using this tool.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Cam Flanigan
VPCart Customer Service
Go to Top of Page

FCS-Webmaster
VP-CART New User

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - April 05 2017 :  19:22:46  Show Profile  Visit FCS-Webmaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cam for the tip.

I changed the xkeepsession alive last week from every 3 minutes to almost every 10 minutes and it''s helped.
Under the old setting from March 20th to 26th 2,180,913 page views (311559 per day).
A 28% under the new settings. March 29th to April 4th was only 1,567,380 page views (223,911 per day).
It''s down to 80% of all page views and 40.76% of all bandwidth being that one file.

Edited by - FCS-Webmaster on April 19 2017 10:24:00
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 19 2017 :  02:41:07  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,

Just following this one up. We have made a tweak in our latest release with a line change to limit the usage of this file.

Please open shop_load_otherjs_subs.asp.

Locate the following around line 90:

$("#session_frame")[0].src = $("#session_frame")[0].src;
setTimeout(refresh_autosendlink, 10000);

Change to:

$("#session_frame")[0].src = $("#session_frame")[0].src;
setTimeout(refresh_autosendlink, <%=xkeepsession_time%>);

Save and test.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Cam Flanigan
VPCart Customer Service