Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Customize Category Pop-Out Menu - Verson 8
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

InkMagic
VP-CART New User

123 Posts

Posted - April 14 2015 :  14:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any way to limit the number of category levels the pop-out menu uses?

I want it to show only the top 2 category levels. In my case Level 1 is the printer brand and level 2 is the printer series. I do not want level 3 to pop-out because that usually has dozens and dozens of printer models. I want my customer to have to click on the proper series to display the models on a single page. See my Version 7 website using the BYZ pop-out menu

www.inkmagic.com

Also I would like to rename some of the top categories eg: ''Brother Inkjet Printers'' to ''Brother Inkjet Cartridges''. Again the BYZ menu allowed this.

I''m trying to keep Version 8 sites as ''stock'' as possible and not use outside utilities.

Thanks!
Dale

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 14 2015 :  21:50:24  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dale,

In the next update we are releasing a categories change to limit the flyouts for sites with large numbers of categories.

So by default it will only show the top level category. This is to improve the speed because using responsive layout we now load the categories table multiple times which is putting a load on the delivery time.

You cannot though have a different name for a category appear in the menu than what you have in the admin though unfortunately.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VPCart Customer Care Team
www.vpcart.com
Go to Top of Page

InkMagic
VP-CART New User

123 Posts

Posted - April 14 2015 :  23:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cam ... I look forward to seeing the update.
I''ll take a closer look at what negative effects changing the names of my upper level categories will have on my SEO.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 15 2015 :  05:11:10  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

We''ll be releasing an updated version of our menu addon sometime in the next few days, ie this one:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/category-menu-generator-for-vpasp-from-bigyellowzone-byz181.asp

The updated version (when it''s released) will have the v8 fly-out format by default in its v8 set of files.

It''s not the menu itself which is the important part of the addon, but rather the aspect of you being able to generate the menu from admin so that when the category menu loads on the customer side, it simply loads an asp file that''s already been generated, so that you can still have a fairly big tree but it''d load much much quicker than dynamically trying to calculate the tree.

I''ll post a separate message on the general v8 forum about the status regarding our addons.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPCart addons
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 15 2015 :  05:26:43  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon

Can you shoot me an email and I will have todays updated version sent through to you.

Thanks!

Cam Flanigan
VPCart Support
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 15 2015 :  05:55:19  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

yep, thanks; I''ve just sent you an email; I''ll post a general message on the v8 forum topic in a sec regarding our addons/status etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPCart addons
Go to Top of Page

InkMagic
VP-CART New User

123 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  12:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

Hi Dale,

In the next update we are releasing a categories change to limit the flyouts for sites with large numbers of categories.

So by default it will only show the top level category. This is to improve the speed because using responsive layout we now load the categories table multiple times which is putting a load on the delivery time.

You cannot though have a different name for a category appear in the menu than what you have in the admin though unfortunately.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VPCart Customer Care Team
www.vpcart.com

Go to Top of Page

InkMagic
VP-CART New User

123 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  12:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam:

Is there any word on when we might see the Category Menu updates? It would be really nice if you could specify how many levels down to go, which in my case would be 2 levels. Also would be nice to have option to turn off the display of how many items are below a category. this is causing overhead when there are many subcategories below the ones being displayed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00