Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Host moved server, site now takes 30 secs to load!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - February 01 2015 :  05:19:36  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I am really worried about what my hosting company has done and the impact on my site visitors and ranking.

My UK host, without giving me any warning, moved my site onto a new server. This broke the links to the MySQL database and my site was non-functioning for 10 days while my pleading for support fell on deaf ears :(. They finally moved the database to the same server but now each page takes around 30 seconds to load!

I complained to my host and they replied as follows:

"I''ve been working on this for a few hours now, but can''t seem to get to the root cause - deleting the database causes the page to load instantly, obviously showing errors. After running optimize on the tables the website is loading slightly quicker for more on average. (It''s taking on average 13.6sec to load here). I can only suggest getting your web developer to look into why the scripts take so long to pull data from the database (It''s stored on the same server, so no network issues here)."

I have made no changes to the scripts and this problem arose overnight with the server move. Does anyone have any idea how this problem would happen please and any advice on how to resolve it.

Many thanks for any help and advice people can give me.

P.S. I need to look into finding a new hosting company ASAP but want to get the site functioning in the meantime. I am pretty desperate to get this sorted as I see years of work slipping away as I am sure google will penalise my rankings for this issue.

Go4Gold

www.myfavouritepubwalks.com
http://thepubwalker.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/PubWalker

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 01 2015 :  06:14:15  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Leigh

Sorry to hear that you have hit something like this.

Try asking your host to make the following changes.

Open IIS
Right click on "Web Sites" -> Properties
Click "Home Directory" tab, click "Configuration"
Click "Cache Options" tab
Set "Cache limited ASP files in memory" to "5"
Set "Cache limited ASP files on disk" to whatever your disk has space for (default to 2000)

As a shameless plug we also offer hosting as well.

http://hosting.vpasp.com

Hope this helps.

Cam Flanigan
VPCart Support
Go to Top of Page

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - February 01 2015 :  06:23:43  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

Many thanks for the quick reply and support. I will certainly pass this on to my host and keep my fingers crossed. In any event, I will be changing host and will certainly look at your packages too.

Thanks again.
Leigh

Go4Gold

www.myfavouritepubwalks.com
http://thepubwalker.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/PubWalker
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - February 02 2015 :  20:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im sad to hear ur getting switched server, finding good hosting provider is hard.. i ever get such like you, my past hosting did not send me email or announcement that they switch me to other server,, that causing me having a lot of issues with my site, my order email ddid not work, asp jpeg not work on the new server,.. and my sales dropped coz the ranking is dropped after they switched me to new server,,, u must find a reliable hosting provider, at least they send you notice what they are going to do with ur site before any damage happened.
diego
Go to Top of Page

motonet
VP-CART New User

Spain
79 Posts

Posted - February 13 2015 :  16:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cannot give you a solution for this but a suggestion to prevent situations like these.

-I have the domain hosted in a different hosting. I can manage the DNS to point to where I want to.

-I have 2 hostings, one with the live site, and other where daily we backup the entire site.
Usually you can do it directly from your control panel or you can do it with Cobian backup for example

-I am a suscriber of an EXCELENT tool, for free, uptime robot. Every five minutes it looks at my site, and if it is down, it sends a e-mail to me. My site is down 5 minutes before I know.

If the problem is too big, I have the copy of the entire site on the other hosting, including the db from the last backup. In that case I change the DNS to the that hosting, and I can solve the problem quietly. It is a cheap solution, for me.
Site down one hour is too much money.

If there is a better idea, please let me know. But this way, I have never had my site down more than a few hours in years.

On the other side,
I am a non-professional user of VPASP since a lot of time. I use to visit the forum weekly, and I use to take a look to the blog too. I manage my site learning from other users or apliying ideas from bloggers. I earn money

All of this has been very usefull to me, but I´m a little bit worried, because of the delay of the new version 8.
I understand that there is a lot of work to do, but, like me, I think there are many people waiting for it, and more than that, there are people, thinking on changing the platform because of these delay since vpasp stuff is promising, that it is almost ready since a long time.

Dear support guys. Why are you in silence? December, January, almost February are gone.
We need to know, and better than that, we want to pay for the new version!

For us, would be important to know if you are planing to discontinue the product. At least we could plan what to do.

Regards
Diego

Edited by - motonet on February 13 2015 16:08:24
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - February 14 2015 :  05:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
deigo, my same name,. u have 2 hosting ... do you think its worth to have another hosting just for doing backup?
also how the cobian works ? is it manual click daily by u orr... its automatic ? so i dun need to click anything, backup do auto daily...
thanks sharing me.
diego
Go to Top of Page

motonet
VP-CART New User

Spain
79 Posts

Posted - February 14 2015 :  10:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hola Diego

Once, 1&1 let me down 4 days. 4 days! are many years of hosting for me. Then I decided to have 2 hostings (and 1&1 anymore) If the provider does not solve the problems quickly, I change DNSs to point to the other hosting. We cannot wait for solutions. We need to give our customer service, and that is money for us too.

Cobian backup is fully automatic. You can backup to a PC, or to ftp, but I´m not using it anymore. We back-up from control panel in our hosting, server to server, daily.

Understand that, I dont design sites for other people. I´m not an expert. We are a little company 100% virtual, that has grown around VPASP, easy development, and with a free version to start!

On the other side. I know that you, like others are waiting for Ver 8. Do you have any news about it? I´m getting nervous thinking about to change to other platform. I do like VPASP, and I have reasons to be grateful with these guys.

Saludos
Diego
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - February 20 2015 :  00:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry just respon... nice idea really. i dont use 2 hosting yet... im thinking whether to use vpasp hosting or godaddy...
and for backup site , i plan to have 2 hosting like you do , but just worry to same like you daily myself, if the hosting can do cobian for me automatically will be good for my business.
i hear they will launch in around march or later not exact date.
i will not move to other platform as my site has heavy custom made myself using this vpasp platform, changing to other platform will cause me to change all from beginning whichh is not something i would like to do as i have limited budget. so its worth to wait.. and hopefully the v8 pricing would suit my pocket.
diego.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00