Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Daren''t Upgrade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - January 08 2013 :  03:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just purchased an upgrade from v7 to v7002 so that I can then update the Dynamic SEO Generator. The upgrade has a link to upgrade instructions but these are for a full upgrade from previous versions to v7.
Despite having upgraded from a previous version to v7 in the past I don't have the courage to embark on another simpler upgrade without a script to follow.
Are simple upgrade instructions available anywhere?

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 08 2013 :  22:45:24  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

I recommend using a free program called WinMerge.

Do you have any or many customisations to the core code?

If not then what you can do is create new folder for the latest version.

Upload all of the files

Take a copy of your shop$config.asp file and drop it into the UPGRADE folder.

Make a back up of your database.

Copy across the template folder to the new location making sure you make a back up of the default new template folders.

Now run the Upgrade Wizard in the new folder to add of the extra fields and tables to the database.

Now test your store.

If you get stuck our support guys are available 24 hours a day through the helpdesk.

Are you hosting this site with us? If so then it makes it simple if you do hit s a snag for us to review.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp

Did you know VPASP now offers premium Cloud based e-commerce web hosting?

Ask me for more details on how we can help you with a complete solution to your
online needs.
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - January 09 2013 :  01:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,
I have quite a few customisations, which is what I'm nervous about.

You refer to running an upgrade wizard. Isn't this just for upgrading from previous versions?

I've found this file http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpasp700sp1guide.pdf
and will use it as a guide.

Sorry, that won't work as a guide.

Edited by - Sharon on January 09 2013 06:30:55
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 09 2013 :  18:47:35  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

I was going to say not to use that.

The Upgrade Wizard can be used on any version 700 included.

For customised sites it does get harder as you need to manually bring your changes across to the new version and fully test.

Open source is great for extending functionality but it does raise the difficulty bar a bit when you need to upgrade as you need to ensure you record all of your changes.

What I when upgrading is to set up a new folder locally using the original files and then running a Winmerge against the live store files and the original files.

That way it lists all of the changes you have made to the default store files.

You can then manually update the latest storefront code base with your changes and test after running the Upgrade Wizard.

We also offer upgrade services as well if interested.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp

Did you know VPASP now offers premium Cloud based e-commerce web hosting?

Ask me for more details on how we can help you with a complete solution to your
online needs.
Go to Top of Page

Rudi
VP-CART New User

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - January 09 2013 :  18:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Rudi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

What i did to go from 7.0 to 7.02 was:

create a subdomain (or sub folder if thats easier) and copy your existing site, change the url of the site in the shop config files.
make sure its working as per your live site.

The copy over the 7.02 files and run the upgrade wizard - that way it adds the new database fields

Once you have 7.02 going start applying your mods.

Once you have a stable 7.02 with mods, copy over to the live site and change the shop config file to have the correct site url.

done and done!

i have found 7.02 version to be the most stable / fast / quality vpasp release yet ! it is worth the effort

the good thing about having a "sandpit" to do the upgrade is you can take your time and get help if you need.

Rudi
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - January 10 2013 :  00:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rudi. I used the sub-domain approach when upgrading to v7, so I think I'll go that route again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00