Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Search Engine Optimisation
 Server transfer leading to lower traffic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doble_motorcycles
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - November 21 2012 :  12:38:12  Show Profile  Visit doble_motorcycles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I have transferred our websites to a new, much better spec'd server but looking at the analytics for our VP-ASP shop the traffic is down to about half what it was before the server migration. As a majority of our traffic comes from Google I was wondering if this migration had hurt us in terms of SEO somehow.

I read an article regarding your dynamic SEO toolkit hurting ratings. We don't use this but what we do is rewrite the URLs within IIS. Could this potentially be causing the same issue? (note we don't generally have a product in more than one category) If so how can I resolve this?

Many thanks

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - November 22 2012 :  04:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi.

A change in your server (which will be a change in your website’s IP address) or website hosting service does not need to affect your search engine placement.

you Just be sure of a few things:

- Make sure the website doesn’t go “down” for any period.
Have all the site files tested and ready on the new server before making the switch.

- Do not change any URLs.

- Watch out for capitalization issues. Some servers are case-sensitive while others are not. If this is the case with your switch, then you should run a site-wide link check after the switchover to be sure that all links are working and spend some time checking for inlinks from other sites and making sure that they are still functioning. If necessary, you may need to set up 301 redirects (your IT department will know what this is) from caps/noncaps URLs to lowercase URLs.

- Keep the old site files accessible on the old server for a period of time (some experts recommend a day, some a month) after the switchover. This will allow websites and search engines to update their caches.

- Test, test, test! After site launch, run a “site:www.mysite.com” search on Google and click on the links to be sure that everything is behaving just the way you – and your potential customers – expect.

hope that helps from me.
Diego.
Go to Top of Page

doble_motorcycles
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - November 25 2012 :  18:50:10  Show Profile  Visit doble_motorcycles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Diego, many thanks for taking the time to respond with some helpful information. I discovered that there was an issue with my new version of IIS not being set up to allow "double escape encapsulation" which was giving rise to a lot of 404.11 errors, which I can see reflected within my Google Webmaster tools for the domain.

I can see that the drop in traffic, which correlates to the server migration, also correlates with a drop off in the impressions of the various keywords on Google which is of the major source of traffic to the site. So basically the traffic has dropped off because of the impressions and therefore the click-throughs have dropped off.

Do I conclude that Google has "punished" the site by reduced impressions due to these 404 errors? And moving forward, once all these errors have been ironed out is my only option to wait for Google to stop hating?

Any further thoughts? Many thanks
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - December 20 2012 :  09:36:12  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use Google Webmaster Tools and see what errors that they have listed and check to see if there are any errors in your site map... I started getting duplicate content errors recently for the bc=no at the end of the urls which correlated with a bit of a drop in traffic.
Go to Top of Page

Joakim
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - September 16 2013 :  10:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by savvymedias

Use Google Webmaster Tools and see what errors that they have listed and check to see if there are any errors in your site map... I started getting duplicate content errors recently for the bc=no at the end of the urls which correlated with a bit of a in traffic.

Hi
How should I remove that annoying /?bc=no at the end of the urls?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Ogrmaks
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - November 22 2018 :  02:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Ogrmaks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joakim
Hi
How should I remove that annoying /?bc=no at the end of the urls?

Thanks

Hi, did you find a way to remove this /?bc=no? Please?
Go to Top of Page

swampthink
VP-CART New User

106 Posts

Posted - November 22 2018 :  05:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you need re-generated the friendly URLs on all your products through Home » Modules » SEO Manager » SEO Dynamic Generator menu in your store''s admin page.

Edited by - swampthink on November 22 2018 05:13:39
Go to Top of Page

JonUnder
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - August 26 2020 :  09:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently moved my blog to another server. At the beginning, I noticed a slight decrease in traffic, but after a month the traffic increased.
The main thing is to do everything correctly and without transfer errors. When transferring, I made a mistake in the url of the page https://writemyessay4me.org/blog/essay-writing-tips. As a result, it disappeared from the site and appeared only after correcting errors.

Edited by - JonUnder on August 27 2020 07:50:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00