Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Icon and text i browser tab.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frelun
Starting Member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  04:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!
Can some body please help and tell me howe i can add an icon and cange the tabtext in the topp of the browser. I am new to this.

Thanks

Fred

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  14:17:39  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The little icon you can see on the browser tab/window (and on bookmarks etc) is generated by putting a "favicon" image file on your site and then flagging it in the header file.

So, you'd need to create a favicon.ico image file (there are various free web sites that let you do that), then upload that to your site, then add something like this to your shoppage_header.htm template at the same place the other tags are created:

<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

(we usually add both of those tags because it's the only way to cover it on all browsers).

the favicon should really be in the top browsable level of the site (ie "/"), even if your vpasp area is somewhere else.

see also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Favicons are a bit temperamental though with regards to when they get picked up by your browser. Sometimes you need to clear your history/cache, delete the bookmark/favorite you might have created for the site from your browser, and then visit the site again and bookmark it.

In time it'll get picked up and updated in your browser, but don't be surprised if it doesn't get picked up right away, it's a bit random as to when it gets picked up.

Because of the weird nature of when it gets picked up by people's browsers, it's a good idea to make sure you're happy with the favicon image before you upload it to your site because once you've got one it could take ages and jumping through lots of hoops for people's browsers to pickup a newly updated one.

Don't use a jpg or png or gif for the icon; use a .ico file instead; there are various free conversion tools on the web which can convert jpgs/pngs to .ico files.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

frelun
Starting Member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - March 07 2012 :  15:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a Miliooooooon.. Simon. You roule...

/F
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00