Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-Cart Hosting
 Editing Products in MS Sql DB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GlenS
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - November 17 2011 :  11:46:48  Show Profile  Visit GlenS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not being very knowledgeable about databases, I have a few questions.

1)When I update products in my MS Sql database how does this effect customer access to my site?

2)I have a pretty slow internet connection and it takes several seconds to update a price, description, etc. My concern is that during this process I am blocking or causing delays for customers trying to shop on the site.

I am basically looking for a little insight into how the editing of the database affects customer access, if any activity is blocked I will have to make sure to update during non-peak hours. Any information would be appreciated.

Data0999
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - November 21 2011 :  11:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Data0999's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Glen, we haven't noticed any problems when updating pricing, etc in our sites. I believe the updates are instant and unique to each item and I don't think it matters how fast your connection is. It may take some time to upload the file but once it's uploaded to your server, it pulls from that file when you click submit, not your computer. We've never seen a case where it takes down user access while updating. Not yet anyway.

The only areas we have avoiding during peak times are Bulk Updating because fields like Stock Counts, etc. can change from the time you start a Bulk Update to the time you hit Submit. Learned that one when we updated inventory counts last year leaving the page up for nearly an hour between updates. Easy to fix by narrow and faster bulk updates.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

GlenS
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - November 21 2011 :  12:05:23  Show Profile  Visit GlenS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback. I have been using limited bulk updates and it doesn't seem to be hurting the sites performance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00