Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Customer Shopping cart timeouts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  14:35:07  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this has been discussed before, but I need some clarification as it has become almost daily problem on my VPASP7 site.

Customers are often complaining that even when actively using a shopping cart, it will clear out within a 15 minute period.

I've been assured by my hosting company that my IIS settings are much longer than this, but my customers are constantly having this problem.

Can anyone explain what causes this problem? Why does my site seem to have this issue often, while similarly sized companies I compete with never have this issue.

What is it that I would need to change to allow sessions to stay active for a long perios of time (say 5-6 hours) without any chance of timing out within that period?

I run an Access database for my cart, hosted by Alentus hosting, but I'm not on my own dedicated server with them.

Not being someone who understands what it takes on a server-level to control this, I appreciate anyones input on this matter.

Its gotten to the point where I need to consider either changing how my site is hosted, the database (if that will help) or something hardware wise to help resolve this for I fear it is driving customers away.

Thanks,
Chris Stubbs

Redco Audio
www.redco.com

Edited by - chrisredco on July 06 2011 14:36:16

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  17:24:38  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The asp cache issue is often the cause for this, see:
http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13874

I've seen lots of situations before where simply by changing the site in iis to use disk cache instead of memory for the asp files, it's turned sites that were constantly hanging/dropping-out into turbo-charged sites that never drop sessions while users are active.

I think asking the host about how that cache option is set would be the first thing I'd look at.

That's assuming that the sessions are getting killed-off while the user is still active.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - July 07 2011 :  12:10:03  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon. I've inquired about this setting. Being a newbie with these details I'm not always sure what to ask, so this helps a lot.

Are much larger sites that have more traffic that DON'T have this issue just running larger or multipl systems to handle the ability to cache so much for so long and avoid these timeouts for long periods of time?

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00