Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 How to find a file that needs altering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  17:36:08  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Promyntheus,

I have found and fixed the are I needed, thanks. It is in shopfileio.asp as mentioned above.

My main concern was the process of how one finds this file when not knowing inherently where it is. It seems to involve knowing what templates are used and also what coding is used in order to identify the process that creates this box.

I do believe this software to be one of the best laid out versions of it's kind, so I really can't complain. Just not having had a background in any web design language makes searching for seemingly simple changes somewhat daunting sometimes.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaGriff
VP-CART New User

USA
90 Posts

Posted - February 10 2011 :  00:32:31  Show Profile  Visit LisaGriff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use either UltraEdit or Notepad++ text editor programs. They both will search through all the files for what you tell it to search for and show you each instance it finds and list the file it finds it in. You can also open the files you work with and the program(s) will remember which ones were opened when you closed down and automatically reopen them the next time you open the editor(s). This is VERY handy and time saving!
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 10 2011 :  08:54:39  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lisa,

Thanks. I use Dreamweaver which can search a string the same way. My issue was that the text string that you see when looking at the code for shopexd.asp online is not the same as the string used in the actual files in the cart, therefore searching that string brings up no results.

It takes a little more knowledge of what files are being used and what to search for as opposed to finding an exact string as seen in the code of the actual web file I'm afraid.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

LisaGriff
VP-CART New User

USA
90 Posts

Posted - February 11 2011 :  03:14:26  Show Profile  Visit LisaGriff's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I come across something like that I don't search for the whole text string - I just keep searching for instances of what I think is the most relevant part of the string until I find the one that corresponds with the original string. It can be cumbersome and time consuming at first but after you work with the files for a while you pretty much start learning the files/subroutines you need to look in most of the time. I know it doesn't help much though as it doesn't really solve the problem.
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 11 2011 :  14:32:12  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lisa. I know what you mean and have begun employing this method as it makes sense. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

jhoiland
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - March 10 2011 :  15:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to the question of how to go about finding where a snippet of code is...

It can be somewhat complicated...VPASP typically lays out a series of code that is not executed sequentially...you can't just read straight down the file to find what you are after.

First place to look is toward the bottom of the file you are in where all of the subroutines are...if that doesn't contain what you are after then go to the top of the page and see what the include files are.

When an ASP page loads, all of the code on any included file page is also loaded. Includes are handy because you can share common tasks across many pages with one central bit of code...unfortunately they also make things appear muddy when you are hunting for something like this. You will figure out pretty quickly which of the main includes handles certain types of tasks and you can find things pretty quickly.

The real mess in asp comes from nested includes...you have a file that includes a file with its own set of included files! This structure can make finding things really tough unless you have a good grasp of the programming.

JH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00