Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 How to find a file that needs altering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 07 2011 :  17:27:13  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to change the maxlength setting for the Quantity box on shopexd.asp. If I look at the source code for shopexd.asp, I can find the string that control this info, found here:

<input type="text" value="1" name="quantity" maxlength="3" size="2" class="txtfield">

but, I cannot find what file this code exists in to alter it. I've searched shopexd.asp, but no luck. It must be in another file.

Forgive a stupid/newbie type question, but is there some way through a piece of software/add-on/etc. where I can find what file on my website this exists in without having to search through all files on my site?

I know it would be helpful to understand more about the relationship of files on my site, but it seems a bit daunting.

there must be a simpler way to see file relationships without having to know how everything was already connected when the software was purchased.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  02:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisredco

I'm looking to change the maxlength setting for the Quantity box on shopexd.asp. If I look at the source code for shopexd.asp, I can find the string that control this info, found here:

<input type="text" value="1" name="quantity" maxlength="3" size="2" class="txtfield">

but, I cannot find what file this code exists in to alter it. I've searched shopexd.asp, but no luck. It must be in another file.

Forgive a stupid/newbie type question, but is there some way through a piece of software/add-on/etc. where I can find what file on my website this exists in without having to search through all files on my site?

I know it would be helpful to understand more about the relationship of files on my site, but it seems a bit daunting.

there must be a simpler way to see file relationships without having to know how everything was already connected when the software was purchased.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com

Someone else on the forums said using FireFox with the FireBug addon makes webdeveloping easier...
So I downloaded and installed it...

AND HELL YEAH IT DOES!!!!

Once installed, right-click the area you want to modify and choose the bottom option from the pop-up menu (inspect element). It will highlight the source code that applies to that area. Not sure if it will do what you are looking for but it sure in the world saves me a ton of time since downloading. You can make changes in Firebug to see the outcome but you have to open the actual files to make those changes and save it.

Well worth the download in my opinion.

FireFox:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

FireBug:
http://getfirebug.com/

Should save you a ton of time!

www.EasyDomainsForSale.com
www.JuicyHoneyCards.com

Edited by - Promyntheus on February 08 2011 03:57:33
Go to Top of Page

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  02:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I looked at your site and like the google translator up top, will consider that on my JuicyHoneyCards.com site.

I would suggest, for your catergories to reduce them.
Make one called [Cables] and then under that [Cable] category move all the ones on your main pages (taht are cables) into that as subcategories.

Then you can reduce the text length by eliminating "cable(s)" on each of those subcategories.

Would make browsing the first page easier too!

www.EasyDomainsForSale.com
www.JuicyHoneyCards.com

Edited by - Promyntheus on February 08 2011 02:41:09
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  08:51:58  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Promyntheus,

Thanks for the heads up. I actually used Firebug to find the code I originally listed, but this still doesn't tell me where the code actually lives in order to alter it. Although I am using Firebug on shopexd.asp, that is not where this code lives in order to make changes.

I'm hoping for something else that will help me track this info down. It must live in a template or something, but no luck yet.

Thanks for the suggestion on the categories. I'll look into it.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  10:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The code you're looking for is in shopfileio.asp in the sub routine Sub Add_Quantity (ivalue, parsearray) which is approx line 1010. As for finding which pages certain code is in I know there is a tool for doing this throughout a website but at the moment I can't remember the name. I'll get back to you on that.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  10:25:54  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carrol,

If you do stumble upon that software, please send info my way. Firebug plugin for Firefox is very helpful, but it only gives info about the page on the screen, not about and relationship files where other code may be located, like this.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  10:41:18  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess my biggest question with this as an example is, how would I have known to look in shopfileio.asp? When I look at the code of the page, or even open shopexd.asp in my editor, nowhere is shopfileio.asp referenced.

There must be some way to extract that info from the webpage I would imagine, but maybe I'm asking too much.

I know it would be nice to understand a bit more about how all the files relate to one another, but not being a programmer makes this tough from the get go.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  10:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Text_Search_and_Replace_Tools/TextCrawler.html

Just set it up to start in your web directory to find specific lines of text

Hope this helps,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  11:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carfin

Here you go:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Text_Search_and_Replace_Tools/TextCrawler.html

Just set it up to start in your web directory to find specific lines of text

Hope this helps,

Carrol

There is a Version 2.0 on CNET's Download.com

http://download.cnet.com/TextCrawler/3000-2352_4-10805637.html?tag=mncol 1

www.EasyDomainsForSale.com (Premium Domain Names For Sale)
www.JuicyHoneyCards.com (JAV Trading Cards)
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 08 2011 :  14:42:13  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No luck. The problem is when I look at the code on shopexd.asp, it slightly differs from the order of the same text that is in shopfileio.asp, so textcrawler didn't find it as the order is different in the web page code and shopfileio.

Here is how the code shows on the page when viewed by Firebug to see the code:

<input type="text" value="1" name="quantity" maxlength="4" size="2" class="txtfield">

and here is how it appears in the shopfileio file where I had to make the change:

<input class="txtfield" type="text" size="2" maxlength="4" name="quantity" value="1" />

As you can see, they differ, making this type of search not possible.

Hard to believe this is so tough. Does one really need to be a programmer to find basic links in this software?

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  04:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For any non programmers this cart software is excellent for altering the look and feel of your site. Almost all cosmetic changes can be made using only a handful of files and I think that the developers must have a really hard job in deciding which variables should be made easily accessible for the customer to modify through either the control panel or stylesheets. Perhaps they thought that very few people would want to change the length of the quantity field - and you can't please everyone.
It's only when you want to change the way the cart actually does things that it would be best to have a sound knowledge of ASP and VB and get to grips with the way the routines are set up and called from file includes.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I try my best :)

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  06:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Might be a dumb question but did you reload shop configuration after making the change to maxlength="3" ?

Go to Top of Page

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  07:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried the product template file?

<td class="productbuy ar vt" width="30%">

tmp_productformat.htm

Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  07:46:07  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for all the help. I understand more knowledge of certain links between files will help me in this quest. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a tool that might make certain steps a little easier.

Thanks,
Chris

Redco Audio
www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  07:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In windows 7 if you do a search via the windows browser in your cart directory...

formatquantity

It lists all the files with that text string in it... so should narrow your search down.

Go to Top of Page

Promyntheus
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - February 09 2011 :  07:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Promyntheus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could you post a direct link on your site for the quantity field you want wider? I will see if I can figure out where it is in the files.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00