Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Quantity Discounts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

VTTecher
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - October 18 2010 :  22:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am using quantity discounts on items in the cart. I have successfully set this up but there is one issue. I have items that have options that require a quantity. Someone can order 6 of one item and 8 of another. On the shopdisplayproducts.asp page when you add an item to the shopping cart you can type in the numbers for the options but if you don't type the total number of items you are ordering the discount is not applied. The discount will be applied ion the cart if you adjust the amounts for each option but i want the cart to calculate the discount based on the total for the item not the option.

Any information on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JW

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - October 19 2010 :  03:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as i know, the Quantity Discount treat each product feature as a separate product, the discount will only apply if you order 5 red color, or 5 white color. If you order 2 red color and 3 white color, the discount will not apply to it.

Diego.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 19 2010 :  04:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi JW,

use the groupfordiscount field in the quantity discount record

Leave the categoryid and catalogid fields blank
Put in your discounts as planned for the product(s)
Add a discount name to the groupfordiscount field (eg multibuy25)
Save the record
Add this discount name to the product record Discount Group field. Save the product record.

This should now treat all the features (options) associated with that product with the discount when added to the cart,

Hope this helps

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 20 2010 :  21:36:44  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried this but must be missing something. I created a quantitydiscount with a groupfordiscount name rjm12. The only other fields I have filled are minquantity, quantity 1, and discount 1.

i then opened an inventory item , which uses a feature allowing for coclor choices, and put rjm12 into the Discount Group field for that item.

When I then put this item into a cart twice (1 time for each of two colors), I do not see any discount applied, even though I am meeting the minquantity set in the above mentioned quantitydiscount.

I do have xproductgroupdiscount set to YES.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 21 2010 :  06:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure that your features records are set up as follows
Feature Type = QtyProduct
Multiple = Yes
Required = Yes (customer must choose a colour)
Default = No

The discount will only apply after either:
a) the customer clicks the recalculate button (not very likely unless they made a mistake in the quantities)
b) the customer proceeds to checkout - in which case you will have to add text to the product display or the cart to let the customer know that the multibuy discount will be applied at that stage.

It's not an ideal set up but as long as you let the customer know about the discount at checkout it should work fine.

Hope this helps,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 21 2010 :  15:56:48  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This seems to be opening a pandora's box of problems for me! When i follow the instructions above and look at a product using this feature, I see my 5 color choices, each with a box next to it for he customer to enter how many of each color.

When I hit the ORDER button, I get an error on the next page saying:
Feature is required for Redco RRCA - Choose RRCA Color

Even though I am choosing a few colors by putting quantities in the boxes, something is getting lost here. When I use my previous Dropdown feature version of this it works fine, but the QtyProduct version always causes this error.

I'm stumped!
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 21 2010 :  16:09:37  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little further. By setting Require to "NO" I got the page to function, although If I don't make a color choice, I still get the "feature is required" error, which is weird.

The strange this is how this function seems to work. If I have a group discount set for 50pcs, and the customer choose 10ea of 5 colors, and hits the ORDER button, it populates th cart with 10 of each color, but at the non-discounted price.

If I then try the same thing, but ALSO type 50 in the QTY box next to the order button, I get the quantity discount correctly. Is this really how this should work? Seems odd the customer should be expected to know to make choices in quantity for each color choice and ALSO have to type the total amount in the box next to the ORDER button to make this work.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 22 2010 :  04:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, when you posted originally, you didn't say that the colour options were displayed as a dropdown. Your discounts should work fine if the customer is adding one colour at a time to the cart.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 22 2010 :  08:10:36  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just heard from VPASP through the Helpdesk. They tell me since the cart treats each feature option seperately, I can't have 1 product with multiple choices like this (let's say 5 colors of an item) and have multiple colors of the same item trigger a quantity discount, unless they get that quantity of 1 color.

in other words, if I have a discount to apply at 20pcs of an item, it can't work by choosing 5pcsea of 4 colors, only by choosing 20pcs of the same color. Seems crazy to me, but I am not getting it to work here, so I guess this is the case.

Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 22 2010 :  09:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry but I have to disagree.

I now have the colour options quantity discount working perfectly on our local test site with the dropdown features set up the same way that you requested.
All colour features are set as follows:
Feature Type = Dropdown
Multiple = No
Required = No (although you have to have a default colour set)
Default = No (for all but one of colours)

The quantity discount and product records are set up as I posted earlier. In case the lovely people at the help desk don't believe me - here's a screen shot of the product with dropdown features, the cart with qty 3 of 2 colours ordered (no discount because the minimum quantity to qualify is 5) and the cart with qty 7 of 3 different colours with 25% discount applied to all - immediately after adding to the cart.

http://www.deanston-electrical.co.uk/ScShotNewSite.htm

Based on what you are trying to achieve, I assume you have xinventoryproducts set to Yes.

Regards,

Carrol

Go to Top of Page

VTTecher
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - October 23 2010 :  13:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Again,
I sincerely appreciate all your replies, and I have been following this thread and trying the different suggestions but have yet to get anything to really work the way i want it to. I have done everything that has been suggested and have tried some of my own ideas and for some reason i can not get discounts to apply across options and/or categories. For some reason every once in a while it will work but for the most part they never work. I can't see what I am doing wrong when nothing seems to be consistent. Any more ideas wiould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
JW
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 23 2010 :  14:55:01  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
carfin,

i really appreciate the help here. Still no luck. i have the Group for discount set up as shown and the discount code entered in the Inventory masters of the affected procucts.

I have the Feature for my color choices set exactly as you've mentioned earlier.

I have xproductgroupdiscount set to yes, but alas, when I have the quantity discount for this group set to kcik in at 25pcs, and I add 10pcs each of 3 different colors (30pcs total) of 1 item that is assigned to this group discount, the price is always the pre-discount amount in the cart.

I don't see a setting called xinventoryproducts in Admin.

I feel I am obviously missing something as you have it working there, which is even MORE frustrating! Here is a link to one of the items that should be working like this:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=254

Can I trouble you to see that this is indeed not working like your test site is? I think you've laid out all the details very well, but I can't get this to happen here somehow.

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

VTTecher
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - October 23 2010 :  15:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually finally got this to work. I had to remove all the Discounts and start from scratch. Here is what worked for me.

Quantity Discounts
Add a record
minquantity - 12 (I want to have the discount applied at 12 items)
quantity1 - 99999999 (This was necessary to make sure the discount was applied with huge numbers of items.)
discount1 - 0.16667 (This is the percentage of discount I wanted applied)
groupfordiscount - GroupOf12A (This can be anything you want)

All other fields in the Quantity Discounts record were left blank.

Then in the Product record I added Groupof12A to the Group discount field for all records in that group. All the features are now calculating properly as well as across categories.

I did the same thing by creating four different Quantity Discounts and applying them to the proper records and at last it is all functioning properly. The one thing that I was doing wrong was setting the field Quantity1 to 24 which cause the discount to be applied only if the totals of all records were between 12 and 24. Make sure this field has a very large number in it so that does not happen.

Also, I think I had some conflicting Quantity Discounts that is why I deleted them all and started from scratch.

Good luck.

JW
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 23 2010 :  16:46:34  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JW,

That was it! I had conflicting quanity discounts (1 for each product, and then one for the group). The one for just the individual product took precedence. Once I removed this and created a group version only, it works perfectly!

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 25 2010 :  04:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you both have this working. I didn't realise that you had varying quantity discounts operating on different products, and yes they will take precedence over a group discount for the same product.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 25 2010 :  07:21:12  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carrol. I couldn't have gotten here without your guidance.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00