Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-Cart Hosting
 Setting up IIS to run VPASP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 30 2010 :  22:43:34  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awhile back a customer posted the results of her search to find a better way of running VPASP on IIS.

What she posted was some great advice which we ourselves have taken and use whenever we build a new server for our own hosting.

It is not as important as it was now that VPASP 7.0 has been released as we access memory differently but it still can help speed things up even if you are using VPASP 7.0.

This is what augiem3 submitted. Hope this helps any other server administrator out there looking to improve performance.

===================
Open IIS
Right click on "Web Sites" -> Properties
Click "Home Directory" tab, click "Configuration"
Click "Cache Options" tab
Set "Cache limited ASP files in memory" to "5"
Set "Cache limited ASP files on disk" to whatever your disk has space for (default to 2000)

Now IIS will cache pages to disk, not to precious memory! Strangely, the cached pages on disk are WAYYYY smaller than the amount of memory they take to be cached in memory. Example: My 10MB test file full of commented stuff takes 70MB in memory cache. On disk cache, it only takes like 800KB.

Now the 5 in-memory pages will be will dumped to disk as you navigate around and VPASP is staying within 35MB or so of memory!!!!

PHEW! This was a TOUGH nut to crack, I'll tell you. I hope this helps someone else out there!
===================

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp

Ronnie
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - July 01 2010 :  15:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Ronnie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam
We used this on one of our VPASP servers and it made a HUGE difference.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks
Ian Reynolds
Ian Reynolds Projects
Winning On The Web
Go to Top of Page

Ronnie
VP-CART New User

Australia
52 Posts

Posted - August 05 2010 :  04:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Ronnie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been trying to host VPASP sites on vps's with 750MB Ram along with HTML, php sites. We tries putting 5 on there but even setting the no of cached asp files to 5 as above and setting the idle timeout to 20 mins , we have continuous crashing of the server. Pretty much any VPASP will take up to 80MBs of RAM whilst doing nothing. With 20-50 concurrent users go up to 150 MB,s.

So I have ordered some dedicated machines with 2 GIG of RAM. By the above figures I can only get 20-25 sites on there.

Perhaps surport would like to comment. I'll let you know how we get on

Thanks
Ian Reynolds
Ian Reynolds Projects
Winning On The Web
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 09 2010 :  20:30:06  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian,

We limit our physical servers to 100 domains per dedicated box and run them at 4gb's RAM. For a small VPS we usually only run 2 or 3 sites at the most.

If using SQL Server then you need to have a separate dedicated SQL box as well.

I have also found the VPS's work better with MySQL however for some reason.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
Go to Top of Page

rasha
Starting Member

Egypt
11 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  09:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean Cam this will be better if I will use mysql server instead of sql server?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  00:49:17  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would suggest to use MySQL if you are on VPS. On a normal dedicated or shared server either will be ok.

A VPS is generally very limited in resources and SQL Server will try and grab every spare resource leaving very little for the web server.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
Go to Top of Page

Pisces Girl
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - September 18 2023 :  10:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Pisces Girl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

I would suggest to use MySQL if you [url=https://www.outlookindia.com/outlook-spotlight/how-to-get-rid-of-man-boobs-top-3-methods-discovered-by-science-2023-news-264336]how to get rid of man boobs[/url] are on VPS. On a normal dedicated or shared server either will be ok.

A VPS is generally very limited in resources and SQL Server will try and grab every spare resource leaving very little for the web server.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Thanks for the guide.
I wanted to know that can I use VPS and SQL both at the same time?

Edited by - Pisces Girl on September 26 2023 15:19:35
Go to Top of Page

danielrichardson
VP-CART Super User

Australia
276 Posts

Posted - September 18 2023 :  14:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pisces Girl

quote:
Originally posted by support

I would suggest to use MySQL if you are on VPS. On a normal dedicated or shared server either will be ok.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:

Thanks for the guide.
I wanted to know that can I use VPS and SQL both at the same time?

It seems not recommended to run SQL on VPS because of limited machine specifications. Different with Dedicated Server.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00