Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Getting right column options to show
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  09:36:14  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I had the answer to this, but no luck. I would like the right column of my pages to have the options like Featured Products, Mini Cart, Latest News, etc, but my Layout Manager only allows the to show in the left side, not the right. I have xTemplate using default 3-cols for the site, but can't see how to add menu items in the right side.

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  09:37:47  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add, here is an example:
www.ducting-online.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  09:59:32  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry all, found it. I was missing the ADD BOX button that allowed me to start the right hand column choices. All is working now, see?

www.redco.com
Go to Top of Page

spinobject
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  12:16:46  Show Profile  Visit spinobject's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisredco

Sorry all, found it. I was missing the ADD BOX button that allowed me to start the right hand column choices. All is working now, see?

www.redco.com

Not really working... your pictures are running behind the right column on your home page - depending on which products show up. You're going to have to size your pictures to about 100 wide to get that right with 3 columns, or drop it to 2 columns across.

Edited by - spinobject on May 26 2010 12:18:28
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  14:32:56  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I noticed this after my post. Will have to work to get this OK.

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  10:21:07  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Resizing the page was problematic for may images, so I am resizing images individually to make sure the width allows this right column issue to work.
Go to Top of Page

spinobject
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  18:00:45  Show Profile  Visit spinobject's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd highly suggest making a stock template size, and put all your thumb nail pictures in there... Like 100 x 100. Even if it means there is extra white space on the sides, if everything is 100 x 100 and all big ones are in a 300 x 300 box, it makes it real easy later on when you want to play with the images, make changes etc.

If you decided you needed them to be 200, with a quick photo shop batch you could change them all in a few minutes, or just constrain them to that with the css... when some images are tall, some skinny, it can be a nightmare later on.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  08:32:32  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you don't want to physically resize the images, but need them displayed with the right proportions while still fitting in with your panels/pages, you could try our Image Sizing addon because it lets you specify min/max/fixed widths and/or heights for thumbnails, "tiny" thumbs (right panel etc) and large images (and the same for category images).

Whether or not you actually need something like the sizing addon will depend on the nature of your images and how your site looks. Sometimes you can do it with css, sometimes you can do it by putting hard-coded sizes in the templates, sometimes you can use image software to resize the physical images, sometimes there's no real alternative but to use something like the sizing addon which looks at the proportions of the physical image and sizes the display to keep it in proportion while still fitting in with the panel/page.

But, when you consider the other aspects I'd usually go for the image mega-bundle (we only recently upgraded all these modules to cater for vpasp v7).

1. Image Sizing:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=278&opu=n

2. Image Defaulting:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=265&opu=n

3. Sizing+Defaulting combined/bundle (ie sizes your "no-images" images too) (1+2)
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=279&opu=n

4, Missing/Invalid Image Reporting:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=276&opu=n

5. Image Zoom/Multiple-Images:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=218&opu=n

6. Image Mega Bundle (1+2+3+4+5) :
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=284&opu=n

Note that for all these modules you'll need to make sure you've got IIS write access on the folder(s) that hold the images (it needs write access for the vbscript "loadpicture" command to work which checks the physical size of the image at browse time).

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 29 2010 08:34:59
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - June 02 2010 :  12:02:11  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris
I am trying to get the right column going as well but haven't been able to get anything to display. You mention the add box button but i don't really see anything in there that allows me to do this. Would you care to elaborate on that for me.
Thanks in advance.
By the way, i just went to contact us on your site and your google api key is outdated.

Edited by - windsurfer on June 02 2010 12:04:13
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - June 02 2010 :  22:33:21  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
windsurfer: If you go to Admin and then the Layout Manager where you can add/remove items to the page layout. Under the Header Sub Container section at the top is an ADD button on the right hand side. When you click this, it adds the first section of the right hand choices. On my site it is the Top sellers menu.

Also, I just went to my Contact Us page and didn't see any reference to a Google API key. I am not using the Google Maps option. Whet did you see as an error?
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - June 02 2010 :  23:01:25  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi chris
Thanks for the explanation, unfortunatly there is no add button under the header subcontainer section.
When i go to your website and select the contact us button i am brought to the contact us page and a message appears as follows" This website needs a different Google Maps API key. A new key can be generated at http://code.google/apis/maps/. then when i click on the okay button another dialog box pops up that says " Sorry, the google Map API is not compatible with this browser"
I use IE 8.0.6001.18702
Strange thing is that when i am on your site the compatibility icon is not beside my address bar.

Wil
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 02 2010 :  23:47:31  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Wil,

Regarding the Right Column not appearing in the Layout Manager, we have received your support ticket and we will investigate this.

Thank you very much.

VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - June 03 2010 :  11:30:59  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Windsurfer: Weird. I see no hint of that message in either IE or Firefox myslef. I originally was using the google map but took it off weeks ago. Is it possible you were looking at my site a while back and your browser cache is calling up an old version of my page?
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - June 03 2010 :  11:34:10  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris
Yes i did look at your site a while back but i have cleared my cookieas, cache, temp files and such many times since. Not sure what the problem would be then. I will try later on my laptop and see what happens. As for the right column not showing up , there was a line missing in the shoppage_trailer.htm file we have that corrected now.
Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - June 03 2010 :  15:20:00  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris
I just went to your site on my laptop and never been to your site on it and i get the same message about the google key
Wil
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - June 04 2010 :  15:30:53  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weird. I'll have to look into this but am not seeing the error on my PC. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00