Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Import Inventory/Stock Quantities
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Genesis1Man
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - April 23 2010 :  12:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a little confused about the Bulk Import Feature and cannot find any document on it.
If I choose to import a CSV file into the Products table and the CSV file contains, for example, CCode, CPrice, and CStock, what happens during the import process?

I suspect that if the CCode is not found, it adds a new record.

But what about the CStock and the CPrice fields for records that are found? Does it perform math and add them togther or just replace the values?

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  22:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If ccode from the import file matched a record from your site ccode products, the system will replace cstock and cprice existing value with the value from the import file provided.

example could be, if your import file contains below :
"ccode";"cprice";"cstock"
"COMPDESK";200;19

And say ccode COMPDESK already exist in your store with existing cprice 100 and cstock 25.

then if you bulk import the file, after the import, the product ccode COMPDESK will be updated and have cprice 200 and cstock 19.

Diego.
Go to Top of Page

Genesis1Man
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  07:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure?

Seems like bad programming to me. I'll explain why.

Let's use your example. If I have 25 products in stock and get a shipment in that has 19 more, the import should total the stock and update the number to 44. If it works the way you say it does, then I have to update all the numbers myself, manually, and then import them.

Are you sure it works the way you said it does?

David
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  07:54:56  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David,

Unfortunately you do need to do the math using Excel before uploading as the Import tool simply will over write any existing data in the database.

The way the Import tool works is it will look for a matching record and then over write the data if found.

If no matching record found it will create a new one.

We generally recommend using the CCODE field as the match field.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Genesis1Man
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  08:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I guess as long as I know what needs to be done, I can get it done.

Thanks for the answers guys!
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  08:03:40  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My pleasure!

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

jhoiland
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - October 07 2010 :  17:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I am working with this utility now and trying to pull the extendeddesc field out of a MEMO field in another database.

It's giving me fits. All of my other mappings are working smoothly.

First run I had problems with carriage returns in the memo destroying my flat text files. I eliminated those by removing all Chr(013) and replaced them with <br />. That makes the flat file format look right, but it still won't import. Looks like it breaks on every <br /> into a new product. Any ideas on how to somewhat maintain the original formatting with line breaks that will still import?

I am also curious if there is a list of illegal characters. This data was full of goodies from " ' - ; , . : () on down the list. Can I use HTML escape characters in the import? Can I double quote around illegals to escape them etc?

I have tried a variety of delimiters and worked around replacing most of the illegal chars as necessary. I am not opposed to replacing out a " with something like QQQQ and then just running update queries to convert back once the data is in.

Thanks in advance,

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00