Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Main Page URL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

standout
VP-CART New User

Canada
70 Posts

Posted - March 06 2010 :  16:56:09  Show Profile  Visit standout's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With 6.50 we were using VPasp within a frame in our site. Now with 7.00 we are going to just use VPasp as the site - no frames - just it.

Basics (stupid) question. The "home" page in VP is, for example, www.website.com/eshop/default.asp

How do you configure it to launch when someone searches just www.website.com?

We rank rather highly right now in Google - I am assuming our ranking will take a severe hit until Google recognizes the new site pages in 60 to 90 days.

Rudi
VP-CART New User

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - March 06 2010 :  18:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Rudi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Standout,

Google 301 redirect - this will solve your ranking issue too.

Rudi
Go to Top of Page

standout
VP-CART New User

Canada
70 Posts

Posted - March 08 2010 :  12:43:34  Show Profile  Visit standout's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Rudi,

I was with the understanding that 301 redirect doesn't work on a windows environment.

Timothy
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 08 2010 :  13:44:33  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a handy link which explains how it can be done:
http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

I think Rudi's right; you'd use 301 because it's the type of redirect that'll let you keep your rankings and not get penalised etc. It should work on any environment; you'd just pick the relevant coding-way to do it as per the link above.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

standout
VP-CART New User

Canada
70 Posts

Posted - March 08 2010 :  14:16:50  Show Profile  Visit standout's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To both of you - I cannot be more thankful! Simon, thank you very much for the link you provided... it was straight-forward and easy to follow via IIS.

Take care.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00