Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Special caracters (non A-Z characters)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrlidstrom
Starting Member

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - February 28 2010 :  08:02:31  Show Profile  Visit mrlidstrom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
It would bee cool if the system could convert non-standard characters to html. I'm from Sweden and we use for instance å (a with dot), ä (a with two dots), ö (o with two dots) as the last three characters in the alphabet. This should be done for the blog, news and the products description. Today I need to "insert special character" in the editor.

Is there a easy way to add a replace(x,x,x) in the code that does this for the saving of data. How does this affect the SEO-links?

mrlidstrom
Starting Member

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - February 28 2010 :  19:15:32  Show Profile  Visit mrlidstrom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello again,
Please look at left menu under http://www.lagerutforsaljning.se/trugs/

If you place the pointer on the menu text "Dukar/Pannåer... " it tells you that the link is pointing towards "http://www.lagerutforsaljning.se/trugs/products/50-dukar-pann#65533;#65533;er/". This link contains wrong data for the special Swedish character "å".

This is what i have done (but without solving the problem);
1. Changed all "charset=ISO..." on the site to utf-8 (find & replace)
2. Changed the lcid in the admin setup to 1053 (sweden)
3. Put in charset=utf-8 (hard coded) manually in all header files (admin and shop)
4. Deleted all SEO Dynamic folders/files that has been created earlier.

The other problem is that the system creates a SEO Dynamic folder with name "17002-dukar-pann�er". I think this is related to the problem above, but with other strange symbols for the character "å".

Why doesn't the support team create a common STEP-BY-STEP instruction for non-English sites, This would be really nice and save you a lot of bumb questions about this!!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Go to Top of Page

mrlidstrom
Starting Member

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - March 07 2010 :  18:15:12  Show Profile  Visit mrlidstrom's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear all,
This is how I solve it, after approx. 1 week of testing....
I found out that the languange file (downloaded from vpasp site) that you can import has charset= as a parameter in the file. I also found that two other files was hard coded with charset, and not picked from the system.

Change log:
1. Change charset TO "iso-8859-1" in language file that has special characters (line Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish, German, ....
2. Change to charset=<%=GetLang("langcharset")%> in file admin/convertcategories.asp AND admin/convertproducts.asp

Now my site is running perfect and all special characters are showed perfect.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00