Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Seasonal Templates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taylorphoto
VP-CART New User

USA
53 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  09:16:49  Show Profile  Visit taylorphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am wanting to create seasonal templates (New Years theme, Valentines, Christmas, etc)

I ahve NEVER messed with my site theme and am wanting to customize the default look also.

Can anyone tell me if I am going about this the right way?

What I am thinking will work is to copy the default template folder (default-3cols)....rename it to the desired seasonal theme, and then edit the css to make the theme appear the way I want.

After that, I think I would only have to change the default theme in configuration to the new folder name. Is that correct?

Would it also know to use a different logo for my site if I have that in the css for the specific theme?

Thanks in advance for any quidance from those who have gone before me. ;-)

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  11:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

if your site is mostly css based then I think the best way to change the theme is to make copies of the shop.css file(shopXmas.css etc) and alter the display for each season within these files. Then in shoppageheader.htm you can call the replacement stylesheet eg:
<link href="stylesheets/shopXmas.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Hope this helps,
Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Rudi
VP-CART New User

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - February 19 2010 :  21:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Rudi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I Think Carrol's idea is great - but your idea would also work - just would use some extra space.
Go to Top of Page

taylorphoto
VP-CART New User

USA
53 Posts

Posted - February 28 2010 :  11:41:55  Show Profile  Visit taylorphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree both would work. I decided on the template direction because it is easier to change the look once the templates are setup. Space isn't an issue on my VPASP hosted site.

The way I look at it: If I'm already going to be in my VPASP Control Panel each day for processing new orders. by creating templates ONCE...I can simply edit the field where VPASP holds the template info.

This way, I won't have to open my editing software, login to my site, find and pull up the file and change the shop.css line.

From my viewpoint, it just seems like less trouble in the long run to change one entry in the control panel so vpasp will know which template to use. (once my templates are uploaded of course) ;-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00