Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Search Engine Optimisation
 Ver. 7 - Using Title in other metatags and on page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

InkMagic
VP-CART New User

123 Posts

Posted - February 17 2010 :  12:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using my older 5.5 headers in version 7 thanks to Cam & Wilson!! Thankyou!!!

In version 5.5 headers we could use <%=session("titledata")%> to insert the page title anywhere on the page. I used this to put the product title plus extra keywords in both the 'keywords' and 'description' metatags. I also used it at the very top and very bottom of my webpages for SEO purposes. eg. catagory 'Brother MFC-240' became "Brother MFC-240 inkjet cartridges for Brother MFC-240 printers in Calgary Canada.
In the keywords metatag it would be Brother MFC-240 inkjet cartridges ....

I realize there are now commands for inserting the keywords and description from the product files but I simply don't have time right now to fill those in for over 1,000 products.

Is there an equivelant command (sessio variable for the title) in Version 7 that would allow me to do the same thing as I did in Version 5.5?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks ... Dale

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 17 2010 :  15:39:45  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as I can see, you can still use session values on v7 if you want to insert those tags elsewhere on the page, you'd use something like this as an example:

This page's title is <%=GetSess("Dynamictitle")%>
<br />
This page's description is <%=GetSess("Dynamicdescription")%>
<br />
This page's keywords are: <%=GetSess("Dynamickeywords")%>

The logic that sets those up is still pretty much the same as older version except that it uses the meta columns as the first fall-through, see also:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=1465
which explains the general places that the tags get setup from

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 17 2010 15:53:38
Go to Top of Page

InkMagic
VP-CART New User

123 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  16:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Simon:

Yes, you are correct. I used "<%=session("category")%>" to insert the catagory name into a heading line at the top and bottom of my webpages.

Thank you for your help.

Dale
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  14:49:46  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was needing help with this as well, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. Dale, did you get it to work? What did you end up using? I can do it with regular fields, but not the way VPASP puts them in sessions.

And you may find this helpful as well:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13457
Go to Top of Page

InkMagic
VP-CART New User

123 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  11:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello savvymedias:

I used the <%=session("category")%> command to automatically insert, in my case, the printer model that the customer has chosen. Here is the exact line from my header page.

<%=session("category")%> Inkjet Cartridges or Laser Toner Cartridges for <%=session("category")%> Printer in Calgary, Alberta Canada

If you go to this page, you will see it in action:

http://www.inkmagic.com/Shopping/InkMagic_inkjet_laser_toner_cartridges/1349-brother-mfc-495cw/

The top line on the page has the printer model inserted automatically. It is also a 'Heading1' hopefully to gain more importance for the search engines. I've also put the line in the footer too.

Here it is with the printer model inserted:

Brother MFC-495CW Inkjet Cartridges or Laser Toner Cartridges for Brother MFC-495CW Printer in Calgary, Alberta Canada

I would actually like to pull some of the cartridges numbers from the product pages so that it would list the cartridges, again for SEO purposes.

I don't know if this works with other fields or not.

Hope this helps ... Dale
Go to Top of Page

cwalters
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - December 07 2010 :  22:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dale,

I'm sorry but it isn't working the way you describe - you actually see <%=session("category")%>.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00