Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Image display in admin pages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - February 16 2010 :  06:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my v6 site I had a lot of extra images in the extendeddesc field.

When viewing my Product Setup page in the v7 site I can no longer see these images in the Long Description window, which makes it hard to move them to the Additional Image fields without resorting to viewing the html and searching for image paths.

How can I get the images to display in the Long Description window when editing products?

Rudi
VP-CART New User

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - February 17 2010 :  18:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Rudi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need this aswell!
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 17 2010 :  22:10:56  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I have just tested this on mine and could see the images.

Mind you the image paths are all:

/images/yourimage.jpg

It may be because you have a link like:

images/yourimage.jpg

As the admin has been moved to a lower level now it could be causing problems.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  03:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spot on Cam! I should have realised this.

Now..................
Can any genius out there tell me the quick & easy way to change the image path for the admin pages for 2,000 odd images?
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  04:51:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

could you make a copy of the images folder on to the same level as the admin?

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  04:54:55  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had been sitting here trying to think of a good way to achieve what Sharon needs and it was getting more and more complicated. Database queries, filter and updates. etc etc

Sigh. The simple ideas are the best.

Anyone else think of an easier way?

Great thinking Carrol!

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  05:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carfin
could you make a copy of the images folder on to the same level as the admin?

Thanks Carrol, at first I thought this would be be a bit daft. But I suppose I only need the duplicated images whilst I'm moving them to the Additional Image fields. Once I'm all straight I can delete what I no longer need.

As Cam says the simple ideas are the best!
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  05:27:55  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had an issue like this for the admin version of our packing slip (which optionally shows product thumbnails but which is run from admin) - we ended up creating/using a fairly simple "translation" function for that to check the image value and to add "../" to the front of the html if it was just a relative link (ie not virtual "/blah..." or "http...."), so that meant that people could see thumbnails on the admin slip even when their product image values were like "images/blah.jpg"

Bearing in mind that some people use duplicated copies of product data in different folders (eg for test areas/databases), we needed our slip to be able to work with a given set of product data regardless of the virtual path (ie without changing the product image data), so we applied that "translation" function to the slip.

I guess there are 2 core solutions to this:
1) add a similar "translation" function to other admin bits (ie like we did on our slip) so you can see product images from admin without changing the actual product data. this means that your product data will still work as-is when in a different virtual folder.
2) run a sql to update the products, adding a virtual path to the front (using the same logic that the "translation" thing above would use, but applied as an update in sql to permanently change the data rather than changing the code.

Those are long-term/permanent solutions though; if all you want to do is view them while testing, then copying them to a temp subfolder would do the job, but I wouldn't really want that to be permanent if I were a merchant because they'd inevitably end up out of synch after a while

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 18 2010 05:35:40
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  05:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon's suggestions are way over my head capability wise, so I thought I'd go for Carrol's idea.

However, my images folder is 'images' in the site root and there is already an 'images' folder within the admin folder. If I start copying product images into this existing folder I think I'm going to end up causing myself problems.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - February 18 2010 :  11:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon,

I don't have V7.0 yet so I didn't realise that there was an images folder inside Admin. You could certainly copy the product images over as a temporary measure, and just gradually change the image paths any time you are in the product records. I'm surprised the v7 developers didn't see this one coming in testing.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 22 2010 :  07:42:24  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm probably too late to save Sharon from hours of tedious work manually changing all her image sources or maintaining duplicate sets of files etc, but some of our clients had the same problem, and also had problems with embedded relative links to other vpasp pages within html, so in the end we created this:

BYZ165 - Link and Source Corrector for VP-ASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=366&opu=n

As per cam's note, if you've been using virtual paths (ie "/blah") or full browsing urls (eg "http....") in your src/href values in your html then this isn't a problem, but my guess is that quite a few people who've upgraded from older versions of vpasp would have used relative paths and will need the same thing that sharon needed as per her posting above.

The sample screenshots on that page show you the old/new html with the urls highlighted in red for "invalid/will-get-corrected" and green for "valid/will-be-left-alone".

It's also potentially a problem for content records where the html within the content data used relative paths too, so it mostly applies to products.extendeddesc and content.message2, although the corrector itself will let you check/correct absolutely any table/column you want.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 22 2010 07:46:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly