Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Product Import
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doble_motorcycles
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - January 25 2010 :  23:28:14  Show Profile  Visit doble_motorcycles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been using the Product Import feature for the first time today and have noticed a couple of issues:

Firstly, although I specify in the .csv file which category the product belongs under, it doesn't get added to the prodcategories table. I have to manually edit the product and select the appropriate category.

Secondly, I'm having trouble with the productmetakeyword via the import. I want to enter my data as a number of keywords separated by commas, but this is tripping the system up as the commas are being seen as delimiters in the .csv files.

I have tried quotes around the outside ("") but to no avail, and what is a little confusing is that my extendeddesc contains commas but this doesn't cause any problems.

example .csv:
quote:
catalogid,Ccode,Cname,cdescription,Cprice,ccategory,extendeddesc,subcategoryid,cimageurl,pother1,extendedimage,Extraimage1,Extraimage2,pother2,Extraimage3,pother3,Extraimage4,pother4,Extraimage5,pother5,productmetatitle,productmetakeyword,productmetadescription
2840,244207,Ridge Waterproof Boot,"A shorter waterproof boot that is at home on the open road as it is in the city, the Ridge features a fresh new style to keep you one step ahead of the pack.",119.95,216,"<ul> <li style=""margin-bottom:10px;""><strong><em>Optimum Comfort</em></strong> <ul> <li style=""list-style:none;"">Instep Velcro adjuster and Achilles flex zones for superior comfort. Removable anatomic footbed and multi-density EVA padding. Waterproof inner bootie keeps your feet dry through the heaviest of downpours.</li> </ul> </li> <li style=""margin-bottom:10px;""><strong><em>Comprehensive Protection</em></strong> <ul> <li style=""list-style:none;"">Coated leather upper. Internal support is provided by a new injection molded polyurethane (PU) heel counter designed to support and protect the heel, while plastic disks protect the ankle. Midsole follows the shape of the foot and features a structured shank reinforcement. Internal toe counter is layered under the leather. The Ridge boot is CE certified.</li> </ul> </li> <li style=""margin-bottom:10px;""><strong><em>Durability and Feel</em></strong> <ul> <li style=""list-style:none;"">Alpinestars’ exclusive vulcanized compound sole with unique side wrapping design, built to withstand the demands of life on the road.</li> </ul> </li> <li style=""margin-bottom:10px;""><strong><em>Security and Fit</em></strong> <ul> <li style=""list-style:none;"">Double width adjustable Velcroâ straps for a secure, custom fit. Rear reflective insert for nighttime visibility.</li> </ul> </li> </ul>",216,/images/product_images/alpinestars/thumbnails/RIDGE-WP.jpg,/images/product_images/alpinestars/RIDGE-WP.jpg,/images/product_images/alpinestars/extended/RIDGE-WP.jpg,white.gif,white.gif,white.gif,white.gif,white.gif,white.gif,white.gif,white.gif,white.gif,Alpinestars - Ridge Waterproof Boot,"waterproof, boot, ridge, alpinestars","A shorter waterproof boot that is at home on the open road as it is in the city, the Ridge features a fresh new style to keep you one step ahead of the pack."

I look forward to your thoughts on these issues.

Many thanks for your time.

g3nnin
VP-CART Super User

209 Posts

Posted - January 26 2010 :  12:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

You might want to use "|" as the delimiter. This helps me a lot when importing products that contains "," characters. I also use the macro in this help-note to save the import file in Excel:

http://helpnotes.vpasp.com/shopexd.asp?id=885#885

Might want to change this code:

Separateur = ","

Into this:

Separateur = "|"

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

doble_motorcycles
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - January 26 2010 :  15:27:54  Show Profile  Visit doble_motorcycles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats an awesome tip, thanks so much for taking the time to share this knowledge.

Hope I don't sound greedy, but any ideas about the products not being added to the categories when bulk importing?

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 26 2010 :  15:50:22  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

If you add the category ID's into the level3 field in the product import file the import process will automatically grab these and set up the categories for you.

You can also add your products to multiple categories using this method by separating the catrgory ID's with a comma, for example 1,3,14

If they are not added correctly then you can also run the convertproducts.asp file which will look in the level3 field in the products table and recreate the category list.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00