Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Considering upgrade to V7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - January 20 2010 :  05:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm considering upgrading to V7 (currently 6.5). But I would like a lot more info first as our business has changed considerably since we first moved over to VP and we have done a lot of custom coding which involves a lot of additions to the database tables with lots of new fields added.

Is there a specific list of exactly what new fields will be added to the tables and what fields will be taken out.

Ideally I would want to run the new version from the same database as we currently use but just have the frontend in a subdomain whilst testing etc. However if this means fields are removed from tables then this would be a big no no.

Thanks

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop including vibrators and dildos.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 20 2010 :  18:03:50  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

We have a database guide available at:

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpasp650databasedesign.zip

No fields are removed during the upgrade, we only add new fields and tables.

We are also working on an updated Design Guide to make it simpler to implement 7.0 into existing designs.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - January 21 2010 :  03:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there a list of what extra fields are added to each table?

We've added a lot of fields ourselves and so I wouldn't want to increase the database over the mssql limit.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 21 2010 :  09:15:16  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

Would help if I pasted the correct link:

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpasp700databasedesign.zip

This has the new fields and tables in 7.0

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - January 21 2010 :  11:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cam.

Now for the next question.

Is there any way to know if adding extra fields to the mssql table will cause it to crash before they are actually added?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 21 2010 :  18:19:24  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm, good question. Unfortunately not one I can answer. I vaguely remember seeing another post here asking about this but I cannot remember the topic.

Possibly take a back up of your live database and run it through the upgrade wizard and see how it goes may be the best option?

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

gledav
VP-CART New User

Australia
66 Posts

Posted - January 21 2010 :  21:14:22  Show Profile  Visit gledav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

I'm about to embark on the daunting task of upgrading from V6.5. One of my sites has a accumulated a significant number of mods and customisation in the last couple of years and I'm frankly not sure of the best way to approach the upgrade. Will your updated design guide help in any way with the upgrade and when will it be published?

Thanks

Glenn

www.wineseek.com.au
www.creativemusic.com.au
www.mygiftbasket.com.au
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 23 2010 :  04:14:27  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Glenn,

Unfortunately we cannot cover custom modifications as the possibilities are limitless.

What it does is give you an insight on how to bring existing designs across into 7.0.

If you contact me through the helpdesk I will get you a beta copy of the guide.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - February 03 2010 :  02:19:20  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't see this option in V7.0, but I did notice that it was on Steve's site --

How do we add a description of the category to the top of each category page? I took it for granted that each category had a short and long HTML space on our last cart. When you manually add HTML to the category template, it repeats for each product, so I assume the quickest way is to add the category memo to the category pages, but where would I do that?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00