Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 update products
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willy99
VP-CART New User

Italy
108 Posts

Posted - December 08 2009 :  18:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
sometimes instead of create a new products with a new "CatalogID" I modify an old card-product, I change the description, the image and so on, the catalogID remain the one of the previous products.

Is correct or this can cause some problems ?

Thanks.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 09 2009 :  03:56:32  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Technically it won't cause an actual error as such, but it will cause mis-matches in the orders, and also search engines won't have the right listings.

ie say someone's already bought product "name 1", but then you change the product record to be "name 2" (a totally different product), the person who ordered "name 1" will see "name 2" in their order history, ie they'll see something they didn't order (although technically it depends whether the asp code being used looks up the raw itemname or the product info; some things do a bit of both). Same goes for search engines; they'll be indexing mis-matching pages.

What you should do instead is "copy record" on edit-product to get your new product setup based on an existing one, so you go into edit mode for a product which is a close-match to what you're trying to create, then press the copy-record, and then save that new record. Then, if your old product is no longer sellable you'd flag it as hidden.

What you're doing isn't going to cause physical errors or a data disaster as such, but it's not something that should really be done going forwards if you can help it.

Having said that, it does also depend on the nature of the products; sometimes what you're doing is fine/correct, it just depends on the nature of the product etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 09 2009 04:01:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000