Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 New products not appearing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DouglasEverett
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - November 19 2009 :  07:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are slowly developing a site so the client can assume day-to-day management. It is up and functioning well. We have about 2,700 products in an Access database (soon converting to sql.) And we have about 200 categories.

Yesterday we added 200 products to the database product table (from an excel spreadsheet) and added a new category to the category table. All is OK. We loaded the database and tested. The new category is there but no products are in the category. We checked and ccategory is populated for each product. We checked in the VPASP admin screen and see all the products and the category. I added an additional product via the admin screen add product and it works. But the 200 products from the Access database do not. They are there but not via a browser.

For some reason these new products are not visible. Any clues or suggestions what I need to do to make it work?

DouglasEverett
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - November 19 2009 :  08:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And they are not in the hide mode
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 19 2009 :  08:26:47  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've got a help topic on that:

How can I import products using multiple categories/branches? -
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=224

Basically, it's the prodcategories table that you need to fill-in, not just the products.ccategory value, and you can do that by using something like level3 to store the list of categoryids and then run a secured version of convertproducts.asp after the import.

Make sure your cstock value is set to something relevant too if you're using stock-level config options.

I think that the hide value for products needs to be an explicit false/zero too (ie don't leave it null)

products.hide must be false/zero for it to be seen as not-hidden

but, categories.cathide, conversely, needs to be set to anything not-null to hide it and a null to not hide it.

so, usually for showing:
products.hide would be 0, and categories.cathide would be null

and for hiding:
products.hide would be 1, and categories.cathide would be "Yes"

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 19 2009 08:35:06
Go to Top of Page

DouglasEverett
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - November 19 2009 :  08:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the pointer.

But the VPASP database manual states that:

prodcategories---Lists all categories for a specific product. Used only if the products in multiple categories is used

Each of my products is in a single category.
Go to Top of Page

DouglasEverett
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - November 19 2009 :  13:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem solved thanks to VPASP wizard Angelo.

The solution is:
"After you have successfully imported your products from an Excel spreadsheet, please run the convertprducts.asp script. This script will read through the products table and synchronizes the links between categories and products in the prodcategories table.

To run the script, you would need to enter the page directly in your web browser's address field. Please use the following format:

http://www.yourdomain.com/convertproducts.asp

Please also ensure that the script file is already uploaded into your shopping cart's folder.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00