Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Removing dynamic metas from sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 06 2009 :  00:44:04  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone removed the dynamic metas from sessions, or made their own SEO mods? I am having some issues, as someone who does primarily SEO, with the way that things are handled in VP ASP, but I am not a programmer (nor would I like to be) and can't seem to figure out how to call what I want in the templates.

I already made the mods I want to the database, I just need to get them into the templates...

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 06 2009 :  04:45:20  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've got a how-to help topic on that, it mentions some of our addons but you don't need the addons to do the things in the notes, it just mentions them in passing where relevant:

How can I set/change the title/description meta tags on my product/category/content pages?
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=1465

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 06 2009 :  11:09:54  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Simon, you are always helpful. I had already looked at that. I am using my own solution, but the shopheaders.asp only allows the data to be called once.

I really want to remove the call from sessions and just call the tags where and how I need them to be called, multiple times, throughout the page.

I think this is really my only functional complaint about the cart.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  06:10:28  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It depends whereabouts you want them to be shown/used I guess, and what they're for and how they're stored/constructed, as to what the approach would be.

If it's just a direct copy of the relevant column that you want to be shown in a product chunk, then you can just call the column with a square bracket in the relevant part of the template file; that'll work for custom-created columns as well as normal columns.

eg say you had a dedicated title tag column on products called "seo_title" and you wanted that to also be shown within the product page as text then you'd just change tmp_product.htm (product-detail) or tmp_productformat.htm (product-summary) to add:

$[seo_title]<br />

somewhere in the file (the $ meaning only show the other html on that physical template line if that seo_title field isn't blank, and the square brackets meaning it's a column name or a special-template-field)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 07 2009 06:30:03
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  10:56:45  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have done that. :)

Is there a way to call them in the template file though? If I call with a straight call from the database, I get the variable is not defined. I have defined it and when I look at the code, I see that it is calling * from products, categories, content, so it should be pulling all the columns.

I named the columns all the same, and have them for content, products, categories, etc. and I would like to call them for each page.

Simon, maybe we can go 50/50 on a hack -- I am raising $$ for my daughter's medical treatments (www.curinglauren.org). ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00