Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Site Visitors to Add Product Images
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - November 05 2009 :  02:17:56  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm wanting my visitors to be able to send or upload photos of my "products" - my site is for sharing information and sometimes text is provided without a picture which someone else may be able to add.

The Contact Us form does not allow attachments so I am wondering if this can be adapted to allow these to be sent to me. Even better, maybe the Tell a Friend page could be changed to allow an attachment (or two/three) which could be forced to always be sent to me.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

You can see here why I really need this facility:
http://www.myfavouritepubwalks.co.uk/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=31&cat=Suffolk+Pub+Walks

Many thanks!

Go4Gold

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 06 2009 :  01:01:05  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you create a product that allows image uploading?

The people would have to register, and it would be added to the cart, but I am sure you could do it...

In admin, add a product called photo or something... make it a customer upload allowed on the product, add a feature name of "Pub Name" which is a text field, then make sure it is allowed in set up.

Then create an additional form in the HTML in the product template, something like:

quote:
<form method="post" action="shopaddtocart.asp">
<input type="hidden" size="2" maxlength="3" name="quantity" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="FeatureValue#" value="[cname]" /><br />
<input type="hidden" name="Feature#" value="#" />
<input class="submitbtn" type="submit" value=" Submit Photo " name="Order">
<input type="hidden" name="productid" value="##" />
</form>

You will have to replace every place that has a # in it with the values from your cart.

Do you get where I am going? I don't know your skill level, so I can try to help more or less if needed.
Go to Top of Page

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - November 06 2009 :  15:50:30  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Savvymedias, I like lateral thinking. I'm fine with people having to register to upload an image and am going to minimise the personal info they need to provide to do this.

I'm not sure if they might get confused by having to go via the shopping cart but I think its certainly worth a try though. Also as my "products" are all free now, the cart is only used to get the secure download facility and track popularity of the pub walks so maybe later it could be customised to skip some more of the usual stages of checkout.

When you say "make it a customer upload on the product", do you mean this is an existing facility with VP-ASP? I've not used the product features facility at all yet and my skill levels are quite limited but I’m always willing to give things a try.

Thanks for your ideas!

Go4Gold
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 06 2009 :  16:07:01  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is already in the cart. In the product view/edit in the admin area, there is a dropdown called Customer Image - select yes.

Customer Image (customerimage)
If this is set to Yes, any customer ordering this product can upload an image to their order (useful for items where the customer can customize it, such as a t-shirt).
Go to Top of Page

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  02:31:16  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I cannot see this field so I'm guessing that this may be a feature of version 6.50 whereas I am working with 6.09. If so, it may be another reason why I'll need to upgrade - just nervous of how much of my customisation I will lose when I do :-(

If that is the case, would you have any other ideas please?

Thanks again!

Go4Gold
Go to Top of Page

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  02:50:32  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey just had a thought (trying to be a lateral thinker too!)

Would any of these be possible, in order of preference:

OPTION 1
Using a "mailto" link with the subject line of the sender's email somehow picking up the ID number and name of the product. If that cannot be done then...

OPTION 2
Adapting the Tell a Friend page so it accepts an image upload and the "Friend" it sends to would be set to be always me. If that cannot be done either then...

OPTION 3
Adapting the Add Review page so it accepts an image upload, either for me to copy over before I publish the review (or instead of publishing it) or possibly for simply displayinging images on the reviews page too.

Any thoughts as to whether any of those would work please?

Thanks for any ideas.

Go4Gold
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  10:37:47  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, I am working on Option 3 for reviews for myself, as I want people to upload a photo with their testimonials. Maybe you can have those photos active as the addl images, similar to Amazon...

I would say that version 7.0 would be worth an upgrade for you and as long as you keep your files, you will be able to go and add necessary coding.

I will see where our programmer is with the photo uploads, or if I can do it today.
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  10:57:49  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me look at this in more detail, because I would only want registered users to be able to upload data to reduce spamming... how about you?
Go to Top of Page

go4gold
VP-CART New User

151 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  17:06:26  Show Profile  Visit go4gold's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I agree, absolutely. When I added captcha it did stop the spam reviews in an instant but I still think that being logged in is generally accepted as a reasonable requirement for people to add comments. It also gives an opportunity to tempt people to tick the box for being added to your mailing list.

Go4Gold
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00