Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Products/Categories and Subcategories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  12:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done some searching around and found some threads but this seems like something that should already be built into VPASP. Why can't I see a category list that has subcategories and still be able to see the products inside the root category.

This should be really easy to do, I'd imagine most people would want to be able to do this... please advise.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  13:24:56  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it might be your xcategoryproductsonly config option; try setting that to no if it's currently set to yes.

But, if doing that, you need to make sure that you fill-in the missing gaps in the data going up the tree, eg say you've got a product in:

a>b>c

(ie it's in the "c" category)

then it also needs to be in:
a>b
and:
a

If you're going down that kind of route, then you probably need this:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=311&opu=n

As it has an admin category tree which makes it easier to maintain the actual categories, and it also has a check/fix screen for the prodcategories matrix data (eg stage 9 of byz055 which is included in that bundle will fill in the missing gaps mentioned above at the press of a button)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  17:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not buying from that company... their addons on wayyy overpriced. Plus i don't like the fact that I've gotta pay with euro's... I've never done that once, ever. It says 60 but it's really 150.00 dollars.

I turned off that option and yeah, it's a little bit closer to what it should be... BUT it's still not that smart... what's so difficult about being able to display a subcategory and a product on the same page.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Page
VP-CART New User

Canada
85 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  19:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez webshaun, I bet you didn't realize that it was the developer of the "wayyy overpriced" addons that was trying to help you for FREE!

And by the way, if you actually clicked on the link that Simon provided for you, then you would have seen that the prices were in British Pounds (GPB) since that is where they are located. Using Xe.com I got: 45.00 GBP = 73.7287 USD. I don't know what you value your time at, but the price seems more than fair to me especially since this is for a bundle not a single addon.

But heck, you want to dis someone giving you help, that's your choice.
Go to Top of Page

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  19:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most addons like this i've seen for no more than US$25.00.

Maybe you haven't realized this but the world is in an economic resession and frivelous addons are just a cost I can't justify. Espcially when I believe that the ability to show subcategories and products on the same page should be a part of the original software.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  21:06:32  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually partially mis-understood the original request; I thought it was just a link to the products that you were after, but it's more a display of the products on the category page.

The logic from my first posting still applies, but if you also want to display the products which are in the parent category on the category page which is displaying the list of subcategories then you'd need a customised tweak or addon, and I'd use this one:
BYZ093 - Product ShowCase (Enhanced Front-Page) Functions for VP-ASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=222&opu=n

As it allows you to have context-sensitive calls, so you can add a call to the showcase function using the category-sensitive argument/flag within your shopcategories.asp page to show all the relevant products.

That, combined with the category bundle, would equate to something like the equivalent of an hour or 2's development time/cost, and would save a huge amount of work/time/errors and keep the cart data clean/tidy.

Nobody has to use the addons if they don't want to, it's a personal choice, but to give an example, the category bundle came about because we spent so much time debugging/fixing category data for our customers/clients years ago because it was so easy for them to enter the wrong data or miss things out when using the default admin screens, that we thought it best all-round if we put those tools into a generic addon; we use it to keep our customers' sites clean/correct, and other people can use them too if they want to.

Should it be part of the original software? well, probably, yes, in an ideal world, but these things don't do everything so people like us are just there to help fill in the gaps with generic plugins and customisations.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  21:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get that you are trying to help and it's appreciated but I sincerely and whole heartedly will not purchase a modification for this. I'd like to get advice from VPASP support directly about this or more details on using this code:

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12510
Go to Top of Page

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - October 27 2009 :  21:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I DID IT!!!

I used the code from the link above and finally was able to figure out how to tweek everything to make it work perfectly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00