Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Predictive Searches (google-style) Addon (BYZ161)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 24 2009 :  09:57:33  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've just released a new addon, and the module is nice and easy to install too; just upload the files and then paste 4 lines into shop$db.asp/shoppage_header.htm (full installation details are in the readme file that it comes with, as per all our addons)

BYZ161 - Predictive Searches for VP-ASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=362&opu=n

Creates a google-style predictive search field to your site so that customers can get preliminary search results while they type in their search text

What is a "predictive search" ? Well, it's what google does when you go to google.com and start typing something into the search box - google gives you a list of candidates for what you're typing in while you're typing it in, which allows you to refine your search as you're typing and gives you an idea of what kind of searches you might want to try.

This module does the same kind of thing but for your products, so that while a customer is typing in their search keyword it'll show them the results in a very small overlaying section which changes as they're typing their keyword in.

It's only when you and your customers start using it that you'll realise just how useful it is to have on your site, and how much easier it makes it for your customers to find what they're after. It saves your customers masses of time because they don't need to wait for a whole page to load before they get a result.

It's one of those things that looks very simple, but changes (for the better) the whole way that people try to find things. Customers are much more likely to stay on your site if they can see quickly if what they're after is for sale on your site.

Demos and live/real site examples and more details available here:

BYZ161 - Predictive Searches for VP-ASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=362&opu=n

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Knowltman
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - October 26 2009 :  10:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Have implemented this on my site, and the feedback from my visitors has been awesome! My web store has several hundred products and with this addon customers are able to find the exact product they are looking for in a fraction of the time. It is very easy to customize it to look the way that I want it. It has taken my professionalism to the next level, and it didn't cost me very much. Thanks Simon! As always you hit a home run!
Go to Top of Page

mrinks
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - October 26 2009 :  19:29:09  Show Profile  Visit mrinks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon installed this add on into my site in no time at all. Looks fantastic and works perfect.
Everyone who has looked at the site since the install has commented on this feature. For what it does for both the customer and the site, it is an absolute steal.
Dont waste your time thinking about this add-on, just get it and let your customers see other products that match there search in a instant.

to see it in action, check out www.pennylanegifts.org

If a job needs doing, give it to someone else!
www.pennylanegifts.org
Go to Top of Page

skynet104
VP-CART New User

94 Posts

Posted - October 28 2009 :  03:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would this work for a database with over 60,000 records? is it fast enough?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 28 2009 :  06:55:08  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We haven't tried it on a huge database yet, but it should work fine, especially as it's just a single query that only grabs the first x records (where x is configurable), so it doesn't actually loop through all the hit-products, it just issues the query and then shows the first few hit records and a count.
If it does end up too slow for 60,000 products then just raise a support ticket on our site because there's usually a work-around for those kind of issues such as tweaking the where clause or indexes etc.

It's a lot faster than when you do a full search on shopdisplayproducts.asp for a keyword/text-string to get to page 1 of a normal search, because it doesn't have all the dynamic vpasp header/trailer stuff that needs processing for the popup results, and it doesn't need to read/process template files, and it only has a single query instead of re-querying each product again within the loop.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on October 28 2009 07:02:05
Go to Top of Page

skynet104
VP-CART New User

94 Posts

Posted - October 28 2009 :  13:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon:

Thanks for your answer, sounds so good, however I am very skeptical and not convinced with your service yet, I had purchase from you the "Enhanced Paging/Searching for VPASP Product Code: BYZ116", from you before which I had problems with and you haven't been able to help me yet.
Do you promise that if I purchase "predictive searches byz161", you are going to help me this time?

Your add-ons are great however I haven't been able to use it at all.

Please Advice.
Go to Top of Page

Knowltman
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - October 28 2009 :  13:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several of their add ons and have never had a problem getting assistance. In fact I bought the packing slip add on and it was updated the next day. Simon logged in to my website and updated all of the files for me. You shouldn't have any problems with the search as it is really easy to implement.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 28 2009 :  14:43:44  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
skynet104; can you raise a support ticket on our site and I'll checkout what's happened?

byz116 (the enhanced paging/searching addon) by its nature is more complex to install than this new one; byz161 (predictive search) is very easy to setup, in fact it's one of the easiest ones we've got as far as installation goes.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

ils5gvl
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - October 28 2009 :  22:25:33  Show Profile  Visit ils5gvl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've had the byz161 predictive search addon installed for over a week now and everyone loves it. It works very fast and the install was a snap. We also have over a dozen other byz addons which are all working well and we've always had great support. Thanks BYZ.
www.rainharvest.com
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 28 2009 :  22:57:33  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all

We actually have a basic predictive search feature within VPASP 7.00.

However it is a very basic text based version. The BYZ module looks to be far more advanced and displays images as well.

The BYZ module also of course works with previous VPASP releases whereas our version will only be available in version 700.

Thanks

Cam
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - October 31 2009 :  07:19:35  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon,

Can it be tweaked to search the customer reviews and content? I am working with someone who sells products that customers use for various issues (lyme disease, autism, etc.) but we are not allowed by FDA to say that is treats, cures or does anything for these issues. I would like customers to be able to find products by testimonials/reviews as well in a search because customers can say whatever they like.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 01 2009 :  08:58:38  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi,
it could be tweaked to look for the searched text in the product-reviews. The files that it uses are split-out into separate files so that you can easily tweak each bit, so the bit which constructs the sql statement is in a file of its own (byz_pes_results_queries.asp).

So, if you wanted, you could tweak it from something like this:

if (i=1) then
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" and ("
else
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" or"
end if
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" "&tsearchthiscondition

to something like this:

if (i=1) then
else
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" or"
end if
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" "&tsearchthiscondition
if (i=1) then
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" or exists ("
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" select 'x'"
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" from reviews as rev"
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" where rev.catalogid=p.catalogid"
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" and rev.authorized is not null"
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" rev.comment like '%"&arg_in_search_string&"%'"
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" or rev.title like '%"&arg_in_search_string&"%'"
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" )"
tsqlmatch=tsqlmatch&" )"
end if

that'd mean that the products which have matching text in any of their approved reviews would also be shown on the predictive results.
but, if they clicked on the "show all results" link to get the shopdisplayproducts.asp (instead of clicking on an individual product within the predictive results), then they'd only get what your current full keyword search does, so you'd also need to change your standard/full search to use the same logic.

The "arg_in_search_string" argument/variable has already been cleaned by this stage, so you can use it directly inside the sql statement like that; anything with a single-quote inside that text string would have already been translated to 2 single-quotes too via the clean function, eg if someone had entered a search string of:

simon's cures

then the sql that it actually runs would look like:

where blah like '%simon''s cures%'

so single-quote searches would work correctly/as-expected and still not allow injections

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on November 01 2009 09:03:30
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - November 01 2009 :  14:42:13  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon, That's a beautiful thing! When I shop, I rely heavily on the reviews of products, so to be able to search those as well is awesome. I am going to download it in a bit!
Go to Top of Page

Knowltman
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - November 16 2009 :  14:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about adding the ability to search within a particular category. For example when a person clicks on the "Books" category once they were on the category page they could narrow the results within the selected category. I guess it would be another place to search that may be a little more visible. Could this be done? I think it would really help my customers!
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - April 26 2010 :  11:30:50  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have anything to search the content table as well?
Go to Top of Page

Knowltman
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - April 27 2010 :  11:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by savvymedias

Do you have anything to search the content table as well?

Yes, It is completely configurable to search any table you might need.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00