Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Spammers using my site
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alanapling
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - October 08 2009 :  07:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had to stop using the email notification forms for orders to me and to customers because spammers are somehow using my host's server to send out spam and I have been asked to take action to stop this.

I have been told to "lock down the form(s)" that allow email.

Does any one know what I should do to achieve this - I am a relative novice in this area.
Shuttuing down the email actions is not a long term option. I am using Vpasp 5.50.

HELP!

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 08 2009 :  08:06:49  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with spammer. Generally the spammer uses the "Tell A Friend" page to spam. Older version of the cart does not have a CAPTCHA protection on the mailing form and as such it is possible for spammer to use robot to spam the form continuously.Version 6.00 and 6.50 of the cart do have CAPTCHA protection available on the form.

Since you are using 5.50, what you can do at the moment is to rename or remove the file "shoptellafriend.asp" from your server so that this page is not accessible. This page is only used for the "Tell A Friend" feature and removing this will not have any affect on other mailing functionality.

Thank you.

Regards,
Frank
VP-ASP
Go to Top of Page

alanapling
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - October 08 2009 :  08:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your amazingly rapid response and the clear explanation of how to solve the problem. I am much obliged. I do have the upgrade to go to Vpasp 6.00 but have not had the time or persistance to run it. Maybe I will take the plunge if it is better able to deal with these things.

Is this CAPTCHA feature automatic with version 6.00 or do I have to do anything else to make use of it?

Alan
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 08 2009 :  14:15:11  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Alan,

The CAPTCHA protection is built into VP-ASP 6.50 by default. For 6.00, it is available via an add-on.

Thank you.

Regards,
Frank
VP-ASP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00