Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Deleting fields in products table
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 03 2009 :  14:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

We have a few changes taking place in both our business structure and the way we operate our websites (don;t worry we are not moving aeay from vp). Part of the change means we could do with more fields in the products table.

However we all know of the problems having too many fields can cause when using mssql.

So I am looking at removing some of the fields from the table.

The ones we don't use (and can't see us using are allowusertext, orderattachment, orderdownload, clanguage, billprice, billinstallments, billinstallmenttype, billinterval, taxfree, freeshipping, templatelisting.

Can anyone see any problems in removing these?

An alternative idea is to create a new table and in that table have the extra fields we may need. Then reference to both the products table and this new table in the product templates. How easy would this be to do?

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop including vibrators and dildos.

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 04 2009 :  04:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

I would not advise removing most of the fields you have listed unless you know your way around the routines that reference these fields because some of the references will have to be commented out or removed to prevent errors.

There would be a lot of custom work involved in adding a new table to be referenced together with the main products table for template display. I would not advise this either.

How many more fields are you looking to add the to products table? If it's only a half dozen or so and they are not going to hold large amounts of data, then I don't see any problems. Perhaps add them one at a time and test thoroughly.

Hope this helps,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk

Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 04 2009 :  08:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,

Thanks for that.

Finding the subroutines and references wouldn't be a problem, just a lot of work.

There's going tobe a lot of information in the extra fileds (mainly text), so we have got to do something.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - October 04 2009 :  08:44:43  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

You don't need to remove any fields. If the existing fields do not have any data in them they will not affect the overall data restrictions as they are empty.

Thanks

Cam
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 04 2009 :  09:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realise that, I thought it was the total declared space available.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00