Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Using hearaboutus as input field instead of drop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - September 23 2009 :  10:57:51  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having the "Heard about us" field is very good for marketing, but the drop down limits you. What if they heard about you from a radio show or you were featured in a paper and didn't know it? This is when having a plain text field where the user can put whatever they want in there.

In the setup config area in admin:

xhearaboutus = no
xhearaboutusrequired = no
xcustomerotherfieldsinorder = no

xhearaboutusrequired = * How did you hear about us?
xcustomerotherfields = hearaboutus
xcustomerotherrequired = hearaboutus

Works just fine without adding addl fields.

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 26 2009 :  03:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our hear about us dropdown we have set it to have "Customer, Ebay, Friend, Newspaper, Search Engine" So instead of having a blank teext field why not simply add more options to the dd?

From a personal point of view as a customer, whenever I see a hear about us question that wants me to type in text I ignore it and leave it blank. If it forces me to enter something then that puts me off the site altogether.

However if the question gives a dropdown then I always answer.

Just some food for thought for you.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop including vibrators and dildos.
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - September 26 2009 :  13:43:47  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I know for a few sites, we have had issues with drop downs limiting the client, especially when there are several ads out in various magazines, in addition to newspapers picking up articles.

One time, I had three clients get featured in the WSJ and no one knew until someone commented it in their order. Then, a few were able to stock up before they got too many orders. The third was out of stock and backordered for over 6 weeks and lost a lot of sales and customers because it was not anticipated.

So, in particular markets or places where the products are not able to be purchased everywhere, it does work. I can see your point in your case, where there is a large amount of competition.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00