Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 What''s the difference?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fivedayforum
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - September 12 2009 :  03:48:30  Show Profile  Visit fivedayforum's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How does VP-ASP differ from ASP and ASP.NET?

and is it more complicated to use or much easier than the two?

http://www.my-company-is-bust.cvlhelp.co.uk

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 12 2009 :  14:15:19  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
vpasp is just the name of the software package, ie the shopping cart software.

asp (or "classic asp" as it's often referred to) is the language that it's written in (technically asp isn't really a language, it's really just a file-type; the actual language is vbscript)

asp.net is like a different version of asp, it's more modularised than asp, and vpasp isn't available in asp.net.

You'll get a different answer depending on who you ask about which is easier.

asp.net is more modular, and as such it's easier to slot-in off the shelf addons, but it's also harder to tweak individual bits.

classic asp (which vpasp is written in) is easier to tweak for most people, but slotting-in addons is more involved than it would be in asp.net. However, when people (including us) give/sell addons, they always supply some kind of readme file which explains the precise steps needed to slot the addon into place.

with classic asp, as long as you've got notepad and ftp then it's relatively simple to make tweaks.

There's always been a debate about asp versus asp.net, there are pros and cons on each side.

Personally I prefer classic asp because I find it easier to tweak/follow than asp.net, but that's really just because I used to program in c (the core initial language that all software is based on) so I'm used to that kind of structure.

Some people say that classic asp is on its way out and asp.net is going to take over, but I'm not convinced of that, I think asp is here to stay because it's as much a language of the web as html is; I think it's too prevalent (and easy to use) to be superceded completely.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on September 12 2009 14:25:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000