Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Product category and subcategorries query
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hito_kun
Starting Member

Mexico
3 Posts

Posted - July 02 2009 :  16:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there.

I want to create a table that includes the ccode, the cname, categories and subcategories of my store.

Im a n00b in SQL, and the only thing I can't get is the subcategories.

This is what my query looks like, my database runs in a MS SQL Server 2000, if that helps.

SELECT dbo_products.ccode, dbo_categories.catdescription
FROM dbo_categories INNER JOIN dbo_products ON dbo_categories.categoryid = dbo_products.ccategory;

Well, I hope someone can helpe with this thing, I've been all morning trying but Im lost.

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 03 2009 :  03:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

you will need a SQL statement like:

SELECT dbo_products.ccode, dbo_products.cname, dbo_prodcategories.intcategoryid, dbo_categories.catdescription, dbo_categories.highercategoryid
FROM dbo_products INNER JOIN (dbo_categories INNER JOIN dbo_prodcategories ON dbo_categories.categoryid = dbo_prodcategories.intcategoryid) ON dbo_products.catalogid = dbo_prodcategories.intcatalogid
ORDER BY dbo_products.ccode;

This should give you a list of all products, and the id and description of the category that the products are assigned to and the id of any higher categories.

Regards,
Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Hito_kun
Starting Member

Mexico
3 Posts

Posted - July 03 2009 :  11:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answer.

Im getting closer to what I need, but instead of this output:

ccode1	cname1	intcategoryid1	catdescription1	highercategoryid1
ccode1	cname1	intcategoryid2	catdescription2	highercategoryid2
ccode1	cname1	intcategoryid3	catdescription3	highercategoryid3
ccode1	cname1	intcategoryid4	catdescription4	highercategoryid4

Is there a wayo to get something like this:

ccode1	cname1	catdescription1	(sub)catdescription1_1	(sub)catdescription1_2	(sub)catdescription1_3
ccode1	cname1	catdescription2	(sub)catdescription2_1	(sub)catdescription2_2	(sub)catdescription2_3
ccode2	cname2	catdescription1	(sub)catdescription1_1	(sub)catdescription1_2	(sub)catdescription1_3

basically having in the same row the product code and name + main category of the product and its subcategories (The store has same items in different categories sometimes).

Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 03 2009 :  11:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The SQL statement I gave you does list the subcategories that the products are in, as well as the main category. If the value of the field highercategoryid is 0 it means that the product is in a main category, any other number, then it is a subcategory (unless of course you have subcategories of subcategories) I cannot think of any other way to get the information you are requesting from a single SQL statement. Perhaps someone else may know of another way.

Regards,
Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Hito_kun
Starting Member

Mexico
3 Posts

Posted - July 03 2009 :  12:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks for the help.

And if with a query is not possible, I'll use any suggestion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00